Moderator Control Panel ]

GrandFather Thomas Alfred Ford

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

GrandFather Thomas Alfred Ford

Postby jford912 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Thomas Alfred Ford b 1886 in Islington. died July 30, 1937 in London. My father said very little about his father. I am seeking details of his death. Census reports show occupation was "Printer". Where do I turn to learn more details of his job, where he worked, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
John Ford
jford912

Re: GrandFather Thomas Alfred Ford

Postby maxine tallon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Your best bet for details of his death is to order his death certificate:-

Thomas Alfred Ford
Q3 1937 (sept)
Volume 3a
age 744.

On Ancestry there is a copy of the probate of his will he lived at 26 Wynchgate, Old Southgate London died 30th July 1937 and left £1473 to Ivy Winifred Ford (widow) her maiden name was Hugall. Also on Ancestry is a tree Beesley fam tree contact is Beesleyfamily2. If this is not your tree it might be an idea to contact the person whoes tree it is.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby Artognou » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi,

I found Thomas on the 1911 census and it says that he's a letterpress machine manager, this is a bit more of a detailed description for his trade and it looked to be quite a skilled job, seeing that he was a manager would suggest that he was pretty good at it!
There is a Wikipedia page that gives a lot of detail into what this entailed and I'd also imagine that there is a more dedicated page of occupations that would offer insight, as well.

If you're looking for extra and, perhaps, more personal information about Thomas, it would be extremely worth your while buying a small subscription to The British Newspaper Archives, I've gone on there before now in the search for articles about specific ancestors and have come away with some unexpected bonuses and if Thomas possibly had skills that at the time were in high demand, or unusual, then I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Alex.
Artognou

Postby Sylcec » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 pm

If you want to order copy of a will then the place to do it is here: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/. However, Ivy Winifred Ford, Thomas' widow was granted Letters of ADMINISTRATION on his estate, which indicates that Thomas did NOT leave a will. Nothing is to be gained by applying for a copy of the admon.
Sylcec

Postby jford912 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you all for your help! Please post should you find more.
jford912

Postby Rosemary Collins » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi John,

Some of my ancestors also lived in Islington and worked as printers. Maybe they worked in the same factory!

What I've got: my 2x great-grandfather John Coyte married Elizabeth White at St Mary's Church, Islington, on Christmas Day 1894. He was 22 at the time and lists his profession as 'machine minder', and his address at 9 St Peter Street, while his father, also called John Coyte, gives his profession as 'printer'.

Then in the 1901 census John, Elizabeth and their two young daughters are recorded as living at 18 St Peter Street, where John's profession is 'lithoprinter'. Also in the household is William Berthalema, 22, listed as their lodger, whose profession is also printer. There are two other families at the same address so conditions must have been quite cramped.

In 1903 there's a record of John enrolling his then seven-year-old daughter Violet, my great-grandmother, at Queen's Head Street School, Islington.

In the 1911 census John, Elizabeth and their children seem to have improved living conditions, with the family listed as the only residents of 1 Ernest Villas, Yiewsley. However Violet, now aged 15, is listed as 'dressmaker', indicating she had to leave school and go to work early. John's profession is 'lithoprinter minder'.

It's not much to go on and I need to find out more about the printing industry at this time myself, but it does seem to indicate that the printers weren't well off - they had to share living quarters and their children received some education but then had to go to work. My Dad remembers Violet from when he was a boy and thought she was quite poor before she married my great-grandfather, a well-off farmer.

At the same time there is a sense of camaraderie between the generations, with John going into the same profession as his father and then taking in another young printer as his lodger, and of a hierarchy of different posts which John could be promoted through throughout his life.

Good luck with your research!
Rosemary Collins
Editorial Assistant
Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine

rosemary.collins@immediate.co.uk
Rosemary Collins

Return to General research queries