Moderator Control Panel ]

Hand Writing Help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Hand Writing Help

Postby Dene Fisher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Can anyone help with identifying the surname of the wife of James Openshaw on the attached please?
Dorothy Lasitter perhaps
Thanks in advance
Dene
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (88.31 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Dene Fisher

Re: Hand Writing Help

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi,Yes I'm going for Dorothy Lassiter.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Don't think there is an "r" at the end. If you look at the line above, there is a Grace with the same last letter which must be an "e".
good luck
Grace.
Amazinggrace

Postby junkers » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:55 pm

It is Dorithy Lafitte.
junkers

Hand Writing Help

Postby brunes08 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 pm

If you compare the 's' in Openshaw and in Robinson, a few lines above, it is the same as in Lassiter. The script used in the 16th and 17th centuries and later in some cases was not the same as today. The letter 's' looked very like the letter 'f' but both letters were often written with a loop which often causes the confusion.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:19 am

Oh dear... Take my inexpert attempt.

An e at the end and the 2nd letter is also an e - the flourish at the top stays up there and doesn't come down like the a.

The 3rd letter appears to be a long s as in parish and other words.

The apparent double letter before the final e has me baffled. There is a double t higher up in Little (Bolton) and it just doesn't look like that.

Lesi??e

Doesn't mean much to me - the temptation is to bend a word onto it. Not the best way of working.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby PaulH01 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:28 am

Looks like Lesitte to me - third letter definitely an 's' and second and last letters probably an 'e' based on other entries. The 't' doesn't have a loop in many entries but it does (just about) in Elizabeth. The 'tt' in Little (Bolton) doesn't match this one at all, though.
The marriage was in 1705, by the way, which wasn't mentioned here.

Ancestry thinks it's Lasiffe, but the Crook family tree has a Dorithy Lassiter born 1684 in Lancashire which might fit (haven't looked at the detail, so may not be relevant).
On Family search there is this entry which seems to support that:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:383Q-SB9

Just to show how different people have interpreted it, here's one for Deborah Lesitte!
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/re ... b+Property

For all I know, you may have added some of these entries in the first place!
Last edited by PaulH01 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.
PaulH01

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:45 am

Lancashire OPC site has Lesitte for her name.

Now that may be an early attempt at a phonetic spelling of Lassiter, but that is a separate argument.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 am

And if you use the Lesitte name in Lancashire OPC for an inexact search on that name in the rough time period, you get a bunch of variants, including variations of Leicester, some of which are in the Bolton area.

The issue with Leicester is that any phonetically based variant today, would be a variant of Lester. But I seriously wonder if the pronunciation of Leicester has always been that truncated form. Somewhere, sometime, it must have been pronounced how it's spelled.

Frankly, between our problems with the letter forms, and the spelling flexibility in surnames at that time, I suspect that there is zero chance of coming up with a definitive reading. It's a variant - but of what?

Having said that, the Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames has Leicester, Lester, Lessiter, Laister, Lasseter and other spellings all as variants of the same name. I suspect that's what we have here.

Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries