Moderator Control Panel ]

Caldwell/Halford marriage (London)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Caldwell/Halford marriage (London)

Postby Artognou » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi,

I haven't yet had a look at this, but I had a very similar dilemma that I managed to solve about three years ago.
I had just discovered the names of a set of 4th great grandparents and I found out that the chap was from Scotland, only via the 1841 census, they were all missing from the 1851 census and the 1861 census just said that he was from Scotland, so I had to leave it for a while.
I then started an account with findmypast and I then found an old military record for him, location in London was correct, age and occupation were also correct and it also had his place of birth, from there I finally managed to trace the details of his family.
I don't know how much you've done already, but if he was military, maybe there could be a few extra details about him and family out there.
Artognou

Postby MoVidger » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info Grace. I don't think that's the correct marriage, though. Alexander married Helen Hislop/Hyslop (1816-1898). She appears with him in the Wisconsin census records. I agree the Dalkeith reference (from Find A Grave) could be incorrect.

Helen's parents emigrated with she and Alexander in 1842. Parents were Robert & Janet Hislop (nee Caldwell) from the Penicuik area. I'm searching SP again now, hoping that Janet Caldwell will throw up a few hints as to a closer family connection to Alexander -- and finally James.

Artognou - thanks for the tip. Every so often I search for James Caldwell on FMP, but will try again now.
MoVidger

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Penicuik and Dalkeith are very close.As I've said before "us scots like to confuse folk" :lol:
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby sdup26 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

It's not a given, but like the Irish, Scots often followed traditional naming patterns for their children. (First son for father's father, second son for mother's father, third son for father; first daughter for mother's mother, second daughter for father's mother, third daughter for mother.) Any chance the names of James and Eliza's children might provide clues?
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm

I have tried applying Scottish naming patterns to James' children, but without knowing his parents, I dare say it's a bit futile. His five sons were Thomas, James, John, Alexander and William. (Thomas was the name of Eliza's father).

An entry on Find A Grave for Alexander H Caldwell indicates his parents were John & Catherine Caldwell (nee Telford). But I've never been able to locate a marriage record for them on SP. I've no idea the source for those parents.

There are several Family Search records for David Caldwell/Calwell/Colwell, relating to 1830 Passenger Lists (etc) for Philadelphia on the ship 'Asia'. He's from Scotland, birth year is 1809. He could be the other Caldwell brother, who is found in the Hanover, New Jersey census records. Then David settles in Janesville by 1860, where the other two Caldwell brothers reside. One of his sons joined Alexander Caldwell in Sierra County (California) to mine for gold.

On Family Search, there is a Scottish couple named David & Elisabeth Caldwell (nee Dennavin). They have a large family in Currie, Midlothian. Two of their sons are David (b 1808) and James (b 1806). Another male child isn't named, but was born 1819 in South Leith. This family is probably a red herring, but I'll research them anyway on SP.
MoVidger

Previous

Return to General research queries