Moderator Control Panel ]

Any advice please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Any advice please

Postby pete25 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Now that I can no longer sink my tree via Ancestry, and the Ancestry software that I have, how do I go about sinking my tree to another software?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Re: Any advice please

Postby carobradford » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:00 pm

It's not 100% clear what you mean, but I am guessing that by "Ancestry software" you mean Family Tree Maker and that by "sink my tree via Ancestry" you mean upload your work from FTM to an online tree.

The standard way to import and export family history data from one place to another - whether from one software package to another or from an online tree to a software package or vice versa - is via a ged.com file. Your software package should allow you to convert your data to a ged.com quite straightforwardly.
carobradford

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:26 pm

Assuming that I've got your problem right....

The intention is that the new MacKiev version of FTM will be able to synchronize with trees on Ancestry. You'll need to wait a while for MacKiev to finish testing before you can buy their new version.

What I'm unclear about is how far advanced Ancestry are with their end of the synchronization software.

Alternatively, I think that I'm right in saying that RootsMagic are also going to produce a version of their software that will allow sync with trees on Ancestry. I suspect that they may be a bit further down the line. You'd need to buy that and convert your desktop files to RM.

If you have FTM now, and were synching, then your best bet is to wait for one of the 2 manufacturers ​above.

In the meantime you need to settle on how you will do your own data updates. You can
1. Attempt to make every change to both your Ancestry tree and your FTM tree - possibly a nightmare.

2. Update only your Ancestry tree.

3. Update only your FTM tree.

Your choice.... Not easy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janmlawson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:53 pm

I am backing up my FTM tree as I work and I am hoping, when it's all sorted out, that the sync will work - otherwise I am in deep mire.
janmlawson

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 pm

At the minimum, you will need to buy an upgraded version of FTM - when it comes out and Ancestry have done their bit.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries