Moderator Control Panel ]

Kelly and Burns

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Kelly and Burns

Postby rikm1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi,

My first post here and hope someone can help please.

I'm trying to get past a few brick walls.

My 2nd great grandfather james kelly married Mary ann burns in 1889 in Castleblaney, co monaghan ireland. They moved to scotland and had three daughters, rose anne kelly 29th Jan. 1897-?, mary ann kelly 1891-1975 and catherine kelly 1893-1972. Mary ann burns passed away in 1897.

I found a record of her daughters mary ann and rose ann staying with their grandparents in coose, monaghan, Ireland 1901. Owen burns and catherine burns m.s smith

I just cannot figure out what ever happened to rose ann kelly. Wondered if someone could help?

I also cannot find a birth certificate or marriage for james kelly. Died in glasgow 11th May 1942
Aged 87 years. He stayed in glasgow with daughter catherine and remarried.

Daughter mary ann moved back over and married and died in glasgow.

Would be great to also figure out and find some sort of shipping record showing them coming back over to glasgow.

Really appreciate any help given please.

Kind regards

Richard
rikm1

Re: Kelly and Burns

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:47 pm

You tell us that James Kelly married Mary Ann Burns in Castleblaney, Co Monaghan in 1889 - but later you say that you can't find a marriage for him!! So - what is your source for the marriage, which I am having trouble verifying.

If James was 87 when he died in 1842 then he would have been born about 1855 which is almost 10 years prior to the onset of civil registration in Ireland. Therefore there will not be a birth certificate. If he was Roman Catholic and you know where he was born then you need to search the Catholic parish registers for a baptism record for him.

There are no passenger lists for people crossing from Ireland to the British mainland - crossings from Irish ports to Liverpool and Glasgow in particular were extremely frequent and records were not kept.
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 am

You probably have this, but:
Name Mary Anne Burns
Gender Female
Birth Date 08 May 1871
Birthplace Monaghan, Ireland
Father's Name Owen Burns
Mother's Name Catherine Smith
Sylcec

Postby rikm1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 am

Hi Sylcec,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I should have mentioned. James kelly and mary ann burns marriage date and place is on their daughters birth certificates but I was hoping to verify it and find some sort of record. They got married 17th March 1889.
rikm1

Postby rikm1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks, I do have this, your spot on there.
rikm1

Postby shanew147 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 am

Closest match for the marriage that I can find is in 1893 - John Kelly married Mary Anne Burns, 18th May 1893, St. Mary's RC Castleblayney. Both resident in the town of Castleblayney and children of farmers - Henry Kelly & Patrick Burns.

I've come across quite a few cases where the marriage details noted Scottish births certs are slightly inaccurate - the notable date, in this case 17th March St. Patrick's Day, can be an indication of this...
shanew147

Postby rikm1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Shanew,

Thanks I'll have another look into this but I'm sure mary anne burns's dad was Owen burns. It's on her death certificate.

Still puzzled about rose ann kelly from monaghan, she seems to have vanished.

Richard
rikm1

Return to General research queries