Moderator Control Panel ]

RICHARDSON, George Edward svce bt.1910-1939

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Postby Marked » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 am

According to son's (John Edward RICHARDSON b.Grimsby c.a 1910-1972 Victoria, Australia) marriage registration of 1939 in Victoria, Australia, his father was an Army Officer, and mother's name was Edith O'Brien.

Have been so far unable to verify any of these details with English records - have searched Ancestry and Find my Past Military records - have found no matching marriage for George and Edith in GRO Indexes or birth reg for John that appears to match.

Any assistance/guidance greatly appreciated that may save me purchasing copies of all birth reg's in the surrounds of Grimsby in the hopes of hitting the correct one before sending me broke ...
Marked

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 am

Have you tried the GRO.GOV website? Their new birth search facility now shows mother's maiden name in the results screen, for the period 1837-1916. Unfortunately, the result will only show maiden name of mother if she was married, otherwise it just shows "-".
The search facility is very picky when it comes to spelling e.g will reject "Ann" if child registered as Anne or Annie, and you can only search +/- 2 years at a time.

I'll have a look later, when my PC is on.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Re: RICHARDSON, George Edward svce bt.1910-1939

Postby Marked » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Mick, but no - no combination of information I have at hand put into the GRO search function has thus far provided me any results ... It is possible that John's actual birth place may have been different and what he recorded was his recollection of where he grew up.

If the information wasn't a fabrication in its entirety, I am hoping that there may be an avenue through Military Records, hence my posting in this section of the forum.
Marked

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 am

Have you got a record of John Edward Richardson's arrival in Australia? What was his occupation?
Where abouts was he living in Victoria? I am struggling to find him on the Electoral Rolls -did he always live in Victoria?
Sylcec

Postby MaureenE » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 am

George Edward Richardson doesn't appear to be listed as an Officer in the British Army on the Active List in 1911
http://archive.org/stream/hartsannualar ... 7/mode/1up, or in the Reserve
http://archive.org/stream/hartsannualar ... 7/mode/1up

From the New Annual Army List 1911, on the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Military Periodicals online
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Military_periodicals_online.

You could check out some of the other years and other sources such as the British Army Monthly Lists on the National Library of Scotland website.

Is there a possibility he became an Officer in the Australian Army? See the Service Records page of the National Archives of Australia
http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explor ... e-records/

There is also the possibility that the information on the marriage record may be incorrect.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Marked » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks Syclec - No record found for his arrival in Australia as yet. John was a cook - he can be found in the electoral rolls in Williamstown in the 1940's. He served in the army post WW2 as a cook and later aboard a lighthouse supply vessel. His army service record has been requested which may furnish a few more details to help. For whatever reason he was not registered to vote at the same address as his wife in 1943; but with his wife in Ferguson Street (and other members of the family) was a "Mamie" Richardson who I have no other reference to. Thinking she could be his mother or perhaps a sister.

Sent from my SM-G900I using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Marked

Postby Marked » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks Maureen. I am not sure that I have exhausted the possibility of George serving for Australia. I shall dive in and see if anything pops up there.

Marked

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 pm

As he was born in Grimsby you could try contacting the Lincolnshire Family History Society.
The address is Unit 6
Monks Way
Monks Road
Lincoln LN2 5LN
www.lincolnshirefhs.org.uk
They are lovely people and very helpful
good luck
grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 am

OK - now found on elec rolls - so John's wife was Jemima.
Could Maimie (?Maime) Richardson be the same person as Maime Elsie Casey who married Ivan Richardson in 1936? They mostly lived in Geelong. Ivan died in 1980, his parents had been Austen Godfrey and Laura Amelia; she died 1979, parents were:William Casey and Ada Elsie nee Huston. Not much help I think!

Regarding John claiming that his late father was an army officer; if the name was correct, then it is quite possible that he was an NCO - corporal or sergeant, e.g. in which case he certainly wouldn't appear in any published army lists, which show Commissioned Officers.

Have you got a copy of John's death certificate? That may tell you how many years he had been in Victoria, though of course accuracy couldn't be guaranteed!
Sylcec

Postby Marked » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 am

I had found "Maime" in Geelong also ... she was actually registered at birth as Mamie according to the indexes. I have also had a decent look at another Richardson family in Geelong that had links to Williamstown ... but despite this other family having two "George Edward" RICHARDSONs and burials in the Williamstown Cemetery, I haven't been able to prove a link between any of the three groups other than the possibility that the Mamies are the same.

Marked

Return to Military help