Moderator Control Panel ]

More information on John Grimes and family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

More information on John Grimes and family

Postby vito74 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:19 pm

John Grimes son James Grimes was born abt 1924 in Limerick. James married Margaret m Feeney in 1949 also in Limerick The marriage certificate says John Grimes is deceased. There was a witness which I think says Ned Grimes (so could be a brother of James). I am wondering when John was born and who he married to have his son James Grimes. Irish birth registers do not tell maiden names of mothers before 1930's. Plus does James have any siblings?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
vito74

Re: More information on John Grimes and family

Postby shanew147 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 am

The Birth register does give full details including mother's name, but the version of the BMD index on FamilySearch only includes mother's maiden surname from the late 1920s. The index books in the GRO include mother's maiden name back to abt 1900, as does the GRO Index on IrishGenealogy . The site includes births with cert register images up to about 1916, but part of the system is not available at the moment.

The closest match seems to be a John Joseph Grimes born Apr/Jun Qtr 1925 - Volume 5 page 270. It's too recent to be included on the GRO/IrishGenealogy website so you would have to order a research cert from the GRO (see option 1) to see the full details.

If his parents were both from Limerick city district then there are two possible marriage matches worth noting - John Grimes & Annie McDonough 18th February 1922, and John Grimes & Maggie Higgins 20th August 1893, also one just after that possible birth John Grimes and Mary Egan 7th July 1926
shanew147

Return to General research queries