Moderator Control Panel ]

Reuben Horsley

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Reuben Horsley

Postby janmlawson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

The above great grandfather of my husband is listed on Desborough war memorial with his brother. There is also a R Horsley listed at Rothwell war memorial just 2 miles away. He was born in Desborough but lived in Rothwell, is it possible he was listed on both memorials?
janmlawson

Re: Reuben Horsley

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Perfectly possible - each memorial was created independently, so the criteria for appearing might be different. One committee might want to commemorate those born in the village, another those who lived there - and given that families might move at any time, even the "lived here" criteria might lead to someone being on a couple of memorials if their family moved during the war.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby janmlawson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks. It's so much nicer to think he was honoured twice than another soldier died.
janmlawson

Postby phsvm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Whilst you should not take it for granted that just because it was possible for individuals to be listed on more than one memorial that is the same man I think in this instance you can assume it is.

The Commonwealth War Graves list Reuben Horsley as married to Geneva Horsley and living in Rothwell at the time of his death. If you are certain the Reuben listed on the other memorial with his brother is also Reuben then, with such an unusual name and no other Reuben Horsleys listed with the CWGC, you can be 99% certain they are the same person.

You can never be 100% sure as funny things happen with names on memorials as I've discovered in my research about the names on my village war memorial.
phsvm

Postby janmlawson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks for the answer. It is Reuben and his brother at Desborough and I am now fairly sure he is at Rothwell too. Was there ever any information on the names on memorials?
janmlawson

Postby phsvm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:48 pm

As I understand it, it was up to each community to erect a war memorial and there was no set criteria. Although I haven't come across any examples, I understand that In some cases families had to pay to have a name included. Some communities obviously asked for names and in other places it appears to be the names of anyone who could be remembered for inclusion.

In the case of my own village there are at least 2 men listed who never lived in the village but whose families did - they'd moved here after their son's had left home. My guess in the case of Reuben is that his wife wanted him remembered in the village in which they had lived and where she may have continued to live and his parents, not surprisingly, wanted him commemorated along with his brother in the village where he had grown up.

Some memorials seem to list first names whilst others only give initials. I think it is unlikely that there would have been any information kept about individuals listed on memorials but it is always worth asking the parish or town council if their records for the time the memorial was erected make any reference to it.
phsvm

Postby janmlawson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I have written to the museum and I will try the parish council. His wife and children continued to live in Rothwell. Thanks again.
janmlawson

Return to Military help