Moderator Control Panel ]

De Ridder / Granara

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

De Ridder / Granara

Postby heathergeorge » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:07 am

Louis De Ridder married twice, once in Bristol England 1841 to Sophia Smart and secondly in Dunkerque, France 1849 to Victoria Constance Granara, latter may have been bigamous. He and his second family shifted back to London in 1850s and he subsequently died in Hackney in 1873. No trace of will/probate. Where should I look? Also is there anyone from his second family, shirtmakers in Hackney who may know of French life in Renescure/Dunkerque area in 18th century.
heathergeorge

Re: De Ridder / Granara

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 am

In the 1851 census his wife is shown as Margarett, who comes from Camarthen.
Name: Louis E De Ridder
Estimated birth year: abt 1782
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Margrett De Ridder
Where born: Ringseam Dept Ole Hand, France
Civil Parish: Westbury on Trym
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Registration district: Clifton
Sub-registration district: Westbury
ED, institution, or vessel: 1a
Household schedule number: 130
Piece: 1955, Folio: 19, Page Number: 30
Household Members:
Name Age
Louis E De Ridder 69
Margrett De Ridder 69
Henry De Ridder 13 (grandson)
John F De Ridder 10 (grandson)
Caroline De Ridder 7 (granddau)
Mary Rowland 19

Is the Louis de Ridder marriage in 1841 for the son of the above Louis, who d. 1858. Is this your web page? http://ghgraham.org/louisedwardderidder1781.html

There is a tree on Ancestry belonging to "Stheliers" which may help.
Last edited by Sylcec on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylcec

Postby brunes08 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:13 am

It wasn't possible for most people to divorce before an Act of Parliament came into force in 1858. Prior to that it would have needed an Individual Act of Parliament to be granted. This was rare.. Therefore it looks as though the second marriage in France was bigamous. I am assuming that you have evidence that the first wife was still alive. Having said that, I do not know if it would have been possible for a divorce to be carried out in France prior to the second marriage. There may well be some knowledgeable people on this Forum who could advise you on this.
brunes08

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 am

Hello
There's a couple of Poll books for Louis.
1847 Westbury on Trym Victoria Place,Whiteladies Road.
1852 Westbury Teacher of French Paul Street.
Margaret was buried at Bristol Clifton St Andrew 30.10.1856 age 75 and there is also a burial there for Louis Edward de Ridder 25.2.1858 age 76 so I'm a bit confused.

No sorry there's two men.The younger born 1816 in Bedminster,who married 21.1.1841 Bristol St Jacob ans St Phillip to Sophia Amelia Smart as you say.
There is a death duty index for Sophia Amelia de Ridder at Clifton 1881 IR27/416.
She died 19.11.1880 at 54 White Ladies Road and leaves £400 .Exe Louis Edward DR son and Alfred John Morris of 66 Shaftesbury Road Hammersmith.
On the 1851 she is a married governess at Weston Super Mare ,1861 census at Weston S Mare she describes herself as married and a music,singing teacher.In 1871 she says she is a widow but as she is now a lodger the form is presumably filled in by her landlord.
So it does look more and more like the marriage to Constance was bigamous.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby heathergeorge » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:26 pm

Thank you for your help. It is not easy when the same christian name is used through the generations! Louis Edward De Ridder was born in 1781 in Renescure France, he was captured by the English off a French naval ship. His son Louis born ?Bedminster c.1817 then went on to have a son Louis Edward b. 1845 Bristol. It is the middle Louis that am interested in and I think correct that 2nd marriage was bigamous (I have certified copy of latter and it mentions parents Louis Edward De Ridder and Margaret Thomas). Poor Sophia the first wife seems to have struggled on in England. Am really interested in why no probate/will for Louis who died in 1873 ? His second wife was still living and he had had 5 children with her.
heathergeorge

Return to General research queries