Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here
Post a reply

Army census

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:54 am

My husbands grandfather was enlisted in 1901 and 1911 would he show up in census records?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

Re: Army census

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm

My Grandfather was a pretty First World War soldier and appears as such on the 1911 census at Tidworth. Unsure about soldiers serving overseas. If you supply his full name and army details that you know I will check for you.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Predictive spelling..... pre First World War soldier....

Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:06 pm

The 1911 census was the first in which the Army outside the UK was enumerated. Remember that the UK included all of Ireland then.

Prior to that, soldiers only appear if they are in the UK, in which case they should be in the census for the country where they were. So don't forget to check the Irish census, available for free on the National Archives of Ireland's website.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi
His name is George Harry Smith 6444 under pension records married to olive hanland
It looks as though he was home in both years although in 1901 looks as though he was awaiting trial for AWOL
Alison

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Alison. Sorry no luck finding him. Smith surname never an easy search. His medal index card says Private 6444 Yorkshire Light Infantry and later transferring to East Yorkshire Regiment as Private 21435.
Regards John

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for looking I can't find any trace of him prior to 1900

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Alison, been checking through George's wife details.
Her name was Olive May Harland not Hanland. Born June quarter 1895 in Sculcoates area. This is effectively East Yorkshire and takes in Hull region. Married George in September quarter 1915 again in Sculcoates region. Found death record which I believe is possibly her which gives birth as 11th March 1895 and death in Hull in March quarter 1972.
Hope this is of use to you. Regards John.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:21 am

Thank you very much John.
I have that info but really struggling to go back I think George could quite possibly be a gypsie as every address etc listed and his parents details I can't confirm as nothing adds up
Oh well time to investigate other branches I guess
Alison

Post a reply