Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to confirm if this is my relative?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Trying to confirm if this is my relative?

Postby caraflo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:29 am

I've managed to get back to 1771 with my relative Thomas Boxwell born in Rodmarton, Gloucestershire in 1771, I know this from his marriage to Elizabeth Hiscoux in Corsham, Wilshire in July 1796 and his death in 1844. I have no census records for him just the births of his children. I am trying to find his parents but they are not listed in his marriage as it just from the England select marriages but the GS Film number 1279378. I have found a birth for a Thos Boxwell in Jan 1771 to a Thos and sarah Boxwell in Rodmarton. This is the right date and the only Boxwell born that year. How can I prove this is the right person?
caraflo

Re: Trying to confirm if this is my relative?

Postby MayHam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:10 pm

Did Thomas Sr. or his wife leave a will mentioning Thomas Jr. or his family? Same with land records. Also, ensure the Thomas whose birth you have found did not die young.
MayHam

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 am

Firstly do *not* look for exact years as you seem to be doing (when you say the only one born that year). The 1841 census only gives ages in 5y ranges (usually) and ages on marriage entries are notorious for being less than the truth sometimes. Our ancestors were sometimes economical with the truth when it suited them and plain simple forgot at other times.

So you need a search that's wide in geography and in timescales.

Then you need to understand how complete the records are for the areas - if only x% of Wiltshire or Gloucestershire baptisms are available to search, then you need to consider that your chap may be in the lot that isn't online. This may or may not encourage you to follow up that baptism.

If it's worth following him up, then you need to trace the Rodmarton guy forward. How many Thomas Rodmarton entries are there? Is he possibly buried early? (Invaluable advice that). How many with that name marry and where? How many are buried?

What you end up with is a jigsaw where all the pieces have the same name and you have to see how the bits fit together.

Good luck. Nobody said it would be easy! :cry:

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby beacon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:06 am

You say you cannot find Thomas Boxwell in a census. He is transcribed on FMP as Thomas Boswell in the 1841 census for Rodmarton. Also in the same household Elizabeth aged 70, Hannah Boswell aged 40 and Mary Boswell aged 6.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
beacon

Postby ianbee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Death, Dec 1844 Cirencester vol 12 page 204
Boxwell, Thomas
age 73

Same age on the burial record at Rodmarton, 22 November 1844
The marriage record in Corsham, Wilts, is reported as saying he was of the parish of Rodmarton (some good news here - apparently Wiltshire parish registers will be on ancestry by the end of this year)

Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette, 5 Dec 1844
Sudden Death. —On the 16th inst., an old man named Thomas Boxwell, residing at Rodmarton, returned home from his day's work in his usual health : he had just finished reading a portion of scripture, when he fell back in his chair and expired.

Be interesting to know what is given as the cause of death on the certificate. Visitation of God, perhaps?
ianbee

Return to General research queries