Moderator Control Panel ]

1920s nursery education

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1920s nursery education

Postby Singleton1922 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:41 pm

I was at the archives yesterday and browsed several of the school admission records. I was surprised to find that 3 of the 6 children of the family I was researching started school at around 3 1/2 years old. These children were born between 1919 and 1922. I have done some research and found there was some provision for starting school part-time at this age although the usual age was 5 years. In fact the eldest and youngest children of the family started school at 5. I wondered if this was something the school tried but later abandoned. As far as my family was concerned the elder child stayed at school but the younger 2 were withdrawn - the 'reason for leaving' column showed the first as 'on doctor's orders' and the second ' wait until he's older'. I intend to review the log books the next time I'm at the history centre to see if there was any mention of this but wonder if anyone knows more on this subject.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Singleton1922

Re: 1920s nursery education

Postby SoozOne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:08 am

I started school just before I was 4 years old - this was back in 1946. It was called Kindergarden and in a big granite building with the front covered in red ivy. When I turned 5 I went to the 'big school' in a different part of town in a class called Transition, and from there a year later into the usual school classes. I remember thinking it was very funny that the big school was called a High School ... being a tad literal I thought it was called that because it was at the top of a steep hill.

SoozOne

Postby Singleton1922 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 am

Thank you Sooz

I'd always thought that everyone started school at 5. Clearly that wasn't always the case. You seem to have fond memories of that time though. I became interested in the school as I went there but have only recently discovered that my father and his siblings were there too.

Singleton1922

Postby SoozOne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 am

No, singleton1922, not especially fond memories at all. I was just at the same school for over 11 years. Some things just get ingrained.

SoozOne

Postby Singleton1922 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes that is a very long time to stay at one school. It's true that so much is ingrained and some things just don't change. Children today are still taught the same rhymes at playgroup and nursery that we learnt years ago.

Singleton1922

Postby LelandJackson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Very interesting about school exception under 'doctor's orders' and simply saying ' wait until he's older'.

As far as I can tell, in the United States, by 1917, every state had instated laws about compulsory education.

So it is quite interesting to see how those laws were upheld in the very early years of their existence. Any insight into the medical reason for not going to school?
LelandJackson

Postby Singleton1922 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:46 pm

This school was in the UK and we had compulsory schooling at the time too, from age 5. However the 2 brothers in this case were just 3 1/2 years old so presumably were withdrawn from school as they were not coping well at that time. They both returned to the same school when they were older.

Singleton1922

Return to General research queries