Moderator Control Panel ]

Dux of the school

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dux of the school

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

I have a photo of my late mother being crowned Dux of the school in East Calder West Lothian.
Does anyone know if they still do it? I posted the question on the West Lothian Family History forum
but nobody has replied.
Thanks
Grace
Amazinggrace

Re: Dux of the school

Postby MJWK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:36 am

East Calder has two primary schools and a Roman Catholic Primary school. Secondary education tends to take place in West Calder High School or in St. Margaret's Academy (RC) in Livingston.
Hope that helps.
MJWK

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

Thanks MJWK,obviously its a long time ago.I went to East Calder school myself for a little while.
my older brothers and sister for longer.The family moved to Lincoln when I was six for my dads
work.I am going to the WDYTYA at the NEC on Thursday, so might find out a bit more there.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby MJWK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:00 am

A new family history centre has opened on the High Street in Linlithgow. They might be able to help you. Gold luck.
MJWK

Postby JaneyH » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 pm

I have a friend who grew up in Scotland in the 1970s. He now lives in Sussex, although still has many friends north of the border. I'm told that being crowned "Dux of the school" is similar to being nominated head boy/girl. Apparently it's still a thing in Scotland.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby SoozOne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:49 am

Dux of the school in NZ still is the highest achieving student. In a number of schools it gives first step into Uni.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.I was told by my late dad that Dux was the top achiever,or the
cleverest in the school. The photo came to light whilst clearing his house.Its a lovely photo.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries