Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Worsfield

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Richard Worsfield

Postby mysticbuddha » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Richard Worsfield Prison Record.jpg
Prison Record
Richard Worsfield Prison Record.jpg (566.42 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Richard Worsfield born in abt1825 (my Gt Grandfather x2) emigrated to Melbourne Australia to make his fortune in 1887 on The Hohenstaufen leaving his family behind in Brighton, where he had been a french polisher. He had been going to join his nephew Harry John Fieldus, who was doing well in Sydney, whether he made contact with him is doubtful. He was sentenced to 12 months in Melbourne Goal with hard labour for Vagrancy on 30 November 1892 and transferred to Geelong Goal 13 January 1893. On 14 October 1893 he was released to 'Freedom with permission'. He was prisoner No 25710. His wife Elizabeth (nee Pierce) heard from him while he was in prison, but we are almost certain he never returned. In the 1891 Census his wife describes herself as Married, and on the 1901 Census she describes herself as widowed, and she died 19th March 1908.
I would really like to find out what happened to him after this time, but I cannot find any further trace of him. I wondered if he changed his name after being released? And what does 'Freedom with Permission' mean?
mysticbuddha

Re: Richard Worsfield

Postby Sylcec » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Not really sure, but could it be like an early release for good behaviour, parole etc - though given that it was only a 12 month sentence in the first place, the release wasn't very early!
I can't find any mention of him in newspapers on Trove.
Sylcec

Re: Richard Worsfield

Postby Cachalot6972 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:07 am

I've had a look at the deaths in both Victoria & New South Wales but no Richard Worsfield deaths recorded even using wildcard searches. It might be worth looking through the deaths in other states.
I wonder if his wife had actually heard he had died or she just presumed he had due to his age...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Return to General research queries