Moderator Control Panel ]

What Regiment and Approximate Date of the photos

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

What Regiment and Approximate Date of the photos

Postby AndrewAHardy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

Hello, I was wondering whether anyone was able to tell me what regiment my Grandfather, (standing in the attached photograph), belonged to and the approximate date of the photograph. I know that my Grandfather spent some time in India with the military, possibly in the 1920s or 1930s, and it might be that this photo relates to that period in time. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks, Andrew.
Attachments
John Killeen 1.jpg
John Killeen - Standing - date and regiment unknown.
John Killeen 1.jpg (541.46 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
AndrewAHardy

Re: What Regiment and Approximate Date of the photos

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi Andrew

I think the collar badge could possibly be the Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry, this is only an idea though, the shape is not far off, someone may be able to tell more. Do you have any other pics or info of your chap? It could equally be one of the British Indian Army if it is a pic of your relative while serving overseas. I do not have too many references to the badges of those regiments I'm afraid. He does have a "good conduct" stripe on his arm which was given for 2 years good service with more being added for other lengths of time. As for the date I am not too sure, the picture looks to me earlier than the 20's or 30's but hopefully someone may have some other ideas about this.

Cheers

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:44 pm

It does occur to me that the 2 guys are wearing puttees that are wound up the leg and will thus tie at the top. This is the classic pattern for foot soldiers - keep the knot at the top, out of the dirt. Horse soldiers (inc. Royal Field & Royal Horse Artillery) wind the other way, to keep the knot away from rubbing against the flanks of the horse. In addition, those don't look like the sorts of boots I imagine riders to wear.

I could be way off beam with the puttee comments - there are always exceptions. And I've never understood puttees anyway - I did ask one of the WW1 re-enactors at the last WDYTYA? Show how they worked, and he did tell me, but it's completely gone from my mind - and not because I'm that forgetful - yet.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm

I must admit Adrian the puttees were playing on my mind too. Not in keeping with a yeomanry unit. The trousers do resemble jodphurs to my eye though.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AndrewAHardy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 am

Hello - thank you for the responses. I do indeed have another photograph of him in the same uniform and have attached it to this post, (John Killeen is standing on the left). He was born in 1907 which is why I believe that these photos were probably taken around the 1920s / 1930s. All the best, Andrew
Attachments
John Killeen 2.jpg
John Killeen 2.jpg (560.33 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
AndrewAHardy

Postby brunes08 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:13 am

Being forever inquisitive and trying to be helpful, I have just googled 'history of puttees'. Lots of useful sites appeared that could answer some of your questions as to their use.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, I did manage to find a YouTube video of a guy showing how to tie puttees - the end of the puttee seems to have a single, very long tape on that can be wound round and round, and then knotted with itself. But I never was any good at knots so it's the visual equivalent of in one ear and out of the other.

You do see how it was all too easy for the raw recruit to either cut off circulation or have the puttee round their ankles very quickly.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Jethro Tull » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:47 am

I too spent a while looking for puttees online! Odd browser history! The darker coloured ones, from one reference, appear to have been for tropical uniform only so links to serving in India. Also found mention of the regiment I thought it was being amalgamated into the Royal Artillery so could possibly explain the lack of horse related uniform.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 am

And while we're talking suitably obscure aspects, I confess that I'd never realised that the normal tropical Army kit had jackets with just 2 pockets (like here) compared to the usual 4.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Cachalot6972 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 am

Do you know where he might have enlisted? A local regiment perhaps? I've had a look at a couple of websites that list British army badges and the badge of the Gloucestershire Regiment looks a fair match. There is a British military badge website which shows the Gloucestershire badge, but unfortunately, being a new user on this site I can't put links up yet; pm me if you would like the link.
Also, the Gloucestershire Regiment served in India from 1932...
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
Cachalot6972

Next

Return to Military help