Moderator Control Panel ]

No cause of death

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

No cause of death

Postby Amazinggrace » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:22 pm

I have a death certificate for Mary Carruthers,parents John Carruthers and Margaret Tennant.Born 1860 and died 1866 in Lesmahagow,Lanark.The column for cause of death is blank!
Its the first time I've seen that. Anybody else come across that and why?
Grace.
Amazinggrace

No cause of death

Postby brunes08 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:34 pm

I have a Death Certificate for my gt grandmother's sister who died in the 1860s. The cause of death was Scarlet Fever. However, I was puzzled because there was not a declaration by a doctor to certify this. I have since discovered that, although deaths were registered from 1837, it wasn't until the law was changed in 1874, that it was made compulsory for a doctor to certify the cause of death. Without the doctor doing so, a certificate could not be issued. Prior to 1874, it was not a requirement for a cause of death to be provided by the informant. Whether this applies to Scotland as well I do not know but it may give you a lead to follow.
In your case, it may be that the parents were not sure of what caused the child's death as there were so many untreatable illnesses back then that could lead to death.
brunes08

Re: No cause of death

Postby junkers » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 pm

I have seen a similar case in Aberdeenshire of a 9-year-old child and the Procurator Fiscal should have asked for cause of death, in this case there was no doctor signing off the death, so no cause of death could be recorded.
junkers

Re: No cause of death

Postby Amazinggrace » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks Brunes08 and Junkers.I have never come across it before but now realise its not unique.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Return to General research queries