Moderator Control Panel ]

Too many Elliots

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Too many Elliots

Postby PaulH01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 pm

I have an ancestor John Elliot. He married Elizabeth Johnson in 1794 in Seaham, co.Durham, they had three children. Unfortunately she seems to have died in childbirth in 1800.

From entries for the birth of his children on FreeReg it says he was a joiner from Brampton, in Cumberland (one actually says 'native of the Parish of Abbey Cumberland', which I assume is the Lanercost region).

Only FamilySearch seems to have many entries for Cumberland around this time - the only John Elliots (or Elliotts) born at Brampton are
1) in 1760, to father William
2) in 1759 to Richard Elliot/Thomason Hope (not yet married)

I can trace option 2) back to Gilbert Elliot, of whom a few things are known.
But if it were option 1) then the only William born in Brampton is born 1743.
A William Elliot married Elizabeth Dixon in 1759 in Brampton, but the William born 1743 seems a bit young. He may also have been a general in the army. His father is also the Gilbert above.
Failing that there are Williams born in Lanercost (1738, father William, 1733, father Simon).

At the moment I've hit a bit of a brick wall working out which one it might be. Could anyone help? Thanks.....
PaulH01

Re: Too many Elliots

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:23 am

Hello
Not any direct help but Abbey Town was at Holme Abbey ,Holme Cultrum but if you google Abbey Bridge on google maps it is between Brampton and Lanercost .There is a place called Abbey Lanercost on the censuses.Lots of Elliots.
There are Wills for Elliotts of Brampton at Cumbria archives.
Christopher 1742 yeoman
Bridget 1749
William 1747 only Inventory but he's a carpenter.
Thomas 1752 grocer

Joseph Elliot of Lanercost will 1763 yeoman

Maybe not your direct ancestor but they may give details of a larger family.
There's several mentions of Gilbert as a 'booker' nut I don't know what that is.

I'd see what the local archives may have.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Re: Too many Elliots

Postby PaulH01 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks - if anything, what you say widens the field further!

I've tried looking further into whether my John Elliot is the 1759 or the 1760 one, I've seen one tree that says it's the latter. One of the two probably stayed in Cumnberland and married Elizabeth Barnfather in Wetheral in 1782, but even from the childrens' names I can't work out which one.

I was rather hoping his grandfather was GilbertElliot, because he at least has some documented background, going into Scotland (Roxburghshire) and even a link to the Elliot clan. As you say, there are a lot of Elliots around there, and even if it's not Gilbert there's a fair chance John is descended from one of them. But I'm not optimistic I'm going to find out...
PaulH01

Return to General research queries