Moderator Control Panel ]

Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

Postby BucksGirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 am

Joseph and Susan(nah) Blaylock lived in Brampton from at least 1819 (baptism of first child, Archibald). They had 10 children, Archibald bap 1819, John bap 1821, Eleanor bap 1823, Elizabeth bap 1826, Joseph bap 1829, James bap 1831, Thomas bap 1834, Bryce bap 1836 and Susan bap 1839. All were baptised at Brampton parish church except John, who was baptised at Zion chapel, Brampton. They also had a daughter called Jane, who from census would have been born in 1822ish, and she consistently gave her place of birth on census as Scotland. All the other children were born and baptised in Brampton. Susan(nah) Maxwell was also born in Scotland. Joseph was a master plumber, tinsmith and brazier, and lived at Front Street Brampton. His wife died in January 1870 and by the mid to late 1870s, the business appears to have started going down the pan. It would appear from newspaper articles that Joseph's son Joseph, also a plumber, was an alcoholic, and it seems that it was under the alcoholic son's watch, presumably having taken over from His father, that the business went to pot. Joseph senior sold his premises in Front Street in July 1877 and moved into rented accommodation. He died in February 1878, and the following month, Joseph junior committed suicide, having been unable to find work and possibly out of guilt for ruining his father's highly successful business. The brick walls I have encountered are 4-fold. 1. I cannot find Joseph senior's baptism and have no idea who his parents were. His age on census was quite variable which puts his birth between 1790 and 1799, and he gave Carlisle and Linstock as places of birth on census. 2. I cannot find Susan(nah)'s birth either, and know nothing of her parents. She consistently gave her place of birth as Scotland on census, with a year of birth between 1796 and 1800. From her youngest daughter's birth certificate, Susan(nah)'s maiden name was Maxwell. 3. I cannot find a marriage for Joseph and Susannah either - from a family rumour, and given how close Brampton is to the Scottish border, it is possible it was an irregular marriage. 4. Joseph and Susannah's daughter Jane consistently gave her place of birth as Scotland on census, and on one census as Glasgow. Jane's ages at census would make her born in 1822ish, although this is a bit tight between her siblings John and Eleanor - just about biologically possible! I cannot find Jane's baptism anywhere - not in Brampton or Scotland. Why was she born in Scotland when her other 9 siblings were born and baptised in Brampton? One possibility is that Archibald (born 1819) and John (born 1821) both died in 1821. Was Susannah so traumatised by losing both of her children that she went back to a relative/her parents in Scotland to have Jane? Or is Jane not Joseph and Susannah's biological daughter? For those of you unfamiliar with the Blaylock name, prior to 1800 is was spelled a myriad of different ways, according to the whim of the clergy! E.g. Blacklock, Blailock, Blelloc, Blakelock, Blayloch! Any help that you can offer with any of these 4 brick walls will be very gratefully received - many thanks.
BucksGirl

Re: Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

Postby Amazinggrace » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Only thing I've noticed from scotlands people is that there are a lot of Blaylocks in Dumfries and Galloway.Just over the border of course from Cumberland(Cumbria)
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby BucksGirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for your reply Grace. Yes, there are an awful lot of Blaylocks spanning both sides of the Scottish border - seems to have been a very localised surname!
BucksGirl

Postby ciderdrinker » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi
Just a thought but I had a look at burials in Brampton of Blaylocks born around the same time as Joseph.There's a Robert born 1794.
Looking at baptisms there's a possible baptism for him 26.4.1794 at Alston to an Alexander Blaylock and a brother Joseph 29.10.1791 which would match with his burial which says born 1792 in Mar qtr 1878.
Mother is Mary Haytan married Joseph at Alston 16.12.1790.

Just a thought
Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby BucksGirl » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks Ciderdrinker - that is a really interesting find. I will investigate the Joseph and Robert that you have found and will see if I can prove a link to my Joseph!

Many thanks!
BucksGirl

Postby Narnster » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:04 am

Just wondering, have you visited the Carlisle Records Office or has your research been online so far?

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Narnster

Postby BucksGirl » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks Narnster - yes, some of my research has been done at the record office in Carlisle, though not in recent years. A new trip is planned soon to view any material that has been deposited in the archives since my last visit. That may be little or nothing of course, but I always live in hope!
BucksGirl

Postby BlaylockCumberland » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Joseph Blaylock Senior is my Great Great Great Grandfather. I am currently trying to research the family history but cannot seem to find any records to his birth or his parents to go back any further. With regard to my great great uncle Joseph who committed suicide,he drowned in Talkin Tarn country park. There is a newspaper article from the Carlisle Patriot of April 19th 1878 which outlines the details of this. With regard to Susannah Joseph seniors wife and his daughter Jane, their names appear on the Scottish strays list in the 1851 census which means they were both definately born in Scotland but appeared on the censuses to be living elsewhere (England). However i cannot find any birth records or marriage records. Perhaps Joseph and Susannah married at Gretna Green where alot of runaway marriages took place and considering it is situated on the border between England and Scotland. If i can find out any further information i will let you know.
BlaylockCumberland

Postby BucksGirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 am

Thank you so much for posting BlaylockCumberland - always lovely to meet a relative! Joseph Senior is my GGGG grandfather, and I am descended via Bryce. Which of Joseph Senior's children are you descended from? I agree that a Gretna marriage seems highly likely - in fact my mother tells me that an older relative told her that Gretna was indeed where Joseph and Susannah were married. I am fascinated by the Blaylocks and have spent the past 6 months investigating them and have turned up lots of new information, but nothing that establishes the parents of either Joseph Snr or His wife Susannah! I have seen the newspaper article about Joseph Junior drowning in Talkin Tarn. I have also seen the Coroner's report which gives the cause of death as "found drowned". I suspect it was suicide, but clearly the coroner felt that as he had simply been found dead in the Tarn, that there was insufficient information to be clear on whether his death was accidental or suicide! I have discovered that Joseph Senior owned freehold property in Front Street Brampton by 1835. This is fairly unusual for this time period, and suggests to me that he had/came into money. Joseph Snr was not a member of any of the Carlisle trade guilds. I have also discovered from Brampton workhouse records (the outdoor relief books of the relieving officer) that Joseph Snr was very ill indeed shortly before he died, and was receiving support from Brampton Union because he could not support himself financially and required assistance to remain in his home. Such a sad state of affairs for a man that was previously near the top of society with some wealth. I am intrigued that there is nothing in the newspapers (either the local papers or the London Gazette) about the winding up of his business affairs, yet this was a legal requirement even in those days. Joseph Junior was buried in a coffin paid for by Brampton Union - either his siblings lacked the means, or he was buried before they had been contacted. As soon as I find out anything else, I will be in touch!
BucksGirl

Postby BlaylockCumberland » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you BucksGirl for your reply, you have obtained alot of useful information from your research. The only thing i could find with regards to Joseph Seniors business was from the local newspaper which stated that the Freehold property which included the sale of the dwelling house and shop in front street Brampton was to be sold for public auction on 18th July 1877 at the local pub the Howard Arms in Brampton. Conditions of the sale would be produced at the time and any application were to Mr Forster Solicitor Brampton. With regards to finding any information on Joseph Seniors birth, parents or siblings then i am currently researching into a couple of leads whether or not they would relate. One being an obituary notice for August 1818 for a Mrs Blaylock of Linstock Castle spouse of the late David Blaylock of Smallstown aged 76. Not sure if this could possibly be Joseph Seniors Grandmother perhaps. If linked could this be how he came into money? Also a marriage notice from 1817 at Stanwix, Mr William HODGSON, of Parkbarn, to Miss Elizabeth BLAYLOCK, of Linstock which could possibly be Joseph Seniors Sister. There are alot of Blaylocks living around the Linstock area including Crosby and Houghton and all variations of the Blaylock name which may be linked so im trying to research into these areas too. Hope this may help and if i find anything more i will let you know.
BlaylockCumberland

Next

Return to General research queries