Moderator Control Panel ]

Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

Postby BlaylockDavidson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 am

According to the death certificate of Susan Maxwell Noble (née Blaylock) of 25 July 1909 at 16, Grantly Gardens, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, her mother's full name was Susan Maxwell Wright.
BlaylockDavidson

Postby BucksGirl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Thank you so much BlaylockDavidson for the information. I had not seen the death certificate for Susannah Maxwell Noble, but have now obtained it from ScotlandsPeople. Very helpful of the Scots to put information regarding the parents of the deceased on the certificate! But I am now in a quandary because the birth and death certificates for Susannah Maxwell Noble contain conflicting information! Her birth certificate gives her mother’s maiden surname as Maxwell, yet her death certificate gives it as Wright. Clearly the certificates cannot both be correct! Do you have any other information that could help decide which name is correct? Have you seen Wright, or Maxwell, used in any other documentation for example?

I am descended from Joseph and Susannah Blaylock’s son Bryce. Are you descended from Susannah Maxwell Noble? And have you ever come across a marriage for Susannah and Joseph - an elderly relative of mine was certain that they married at Gretna, but I have never found any evidence of this as of yet.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.
BucksGirl

Postby BlaylockDavidson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:11 pm

I haven't seen any other documents that might help resolve the Maxwell/Wright quandary.

I am descended from the Kirkandrews-on-Esk Blaylocks but have done a fair bit of work on other Blaylock families, including those in the Brampton area.
BlaylockDavidson

Postby BucksGirl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for your reply BlaylockDavidson. I am looking at Kirkandrews on Esk at the moment - primarily at Eleanor Kirkup (of Kirkandrews) who married a Joseph Blaylock/Blacklock in December 1805 in Carlisle. They had a son Joseph baptised the following month who is a candidate for my missing Joseph Blaylock, husband of Susannah Maxwell/Wright, but it would have to have been a late baptism because Joseph appears to have been born between around 1794-8. If you know anything about any of the above individuals I would be very happy to hear it! Thanks again.
BucksGirl

Previous

Return to General research queries