Moderator Control Panel ]

Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Blaylocks of Brampton, Cumbria - Brick Wall!

Postby BlaylockDavidson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am

According to the death certificate of Susan Maxwell Noble (née Blaylock) of 25 July 1909 at 16, Grantly Gardens, Pollokshaws, Glasgow, her mother's full name was Susan Maxwell Wright.
BlaylockDavidson

Postby BucksGirl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Thank you so much BlaylockDavidson for the information. I had not seen the death certificate for Susannah Maxwell Noble, but have now obtained it from ScotlandsPeople. Very helpful of the Scots to put information regarding the parents of the deceased on the certificate! But I am now in a quandary because the birth and death certificates for Susannah Maxwell Noble contain conflicting information! Her birth certificate gives her mother’s maiden surname as Maxwell, yet her death certificate gives it as Wright. Clearly the certificates cannot both be correct! Do you have any other information that could help decide which name is correct? Have you seen Wright, or Maxwell, used in any other documentation for example?

I am descended from Joseph and Susannah Blaylock’s son Bryce. Are you descended from Susannah Maxwell Noble? And have you ever come across a marriage for Susannah and Joseph - an elderly relative of mine was certain that they married at Gretna, but I have never found any evidence of this as of yet.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.
BucksGirl

Postby BlaylockDavidson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm

I haven't seen any other documents that might help resolve the Maxwell/Wright quandary.

I am descended from the Kirkandrews-on-Esk Blaylocks but have done a fair bit of work on other Blaylock families, including those in the Brampton area.
BlaylockDavidson

Postby BucksGirl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for your reply BlaylockDavidson. I am looking at Kirkandrews on Esk at the moment - primarily at Eleanor Kirkup (of Kirkandrews) who married a Joseph Blaylock/Blacklock in December 1805 in Carlisle. They had a son Joseph baptised the following month who is a candidate for my missing Joseph Blaylock, husband of Susannah Maxwell/Wright, but it would have to have been a late baptism because Joseph appears to have been born between around 1794-8. If you know anything about any of the above individuals I would be very happy to hear it! Thanks again.
BucksGirl

Postby BucksGirl » Sun May 13, 2018 6:47 pm

I have managed to find out a little more. I have found Joseph Blaylock senior on the 1806 Cumberland Militia list, aged 19, occupation brazier, living in English Street Carlisle. This gives his date of birth as around 1793 - so far no baptism found. Does anyone else know anything about him?
Thank you!
BucksGirl

Postby JBlaylockCumberland » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi Joseph Blaylock of Brampton is my 3x great grandfather. I live in Cumbria and descend down his son Thomas's line and like you all have come up against a brick wall in trying to research the Blaylock family any further. On one of your previous posts you mentioned about Archibald and John, Joseph and Susan's sons. Archibald was born in around 1819 and John was born in around 1821. Through my research I have come across a burial in Brampton that reads as follows:

To the memory of Archabald, son of Joseph and Susan Blacklock of Brampton, who died 22nd April 1821 in the 3rd year of his age. Also John their son who died July the 17th 1821 in infancy

I am pretty sure that this is the correct Blaylock's that we are researching and it may help in finding out more about the mystery around Jane's birth. The last census record showing their names was in 1871 showing Joseph senior (75), Joseph Junior (42) Jane (50), William Bath (12) Apprentice all living together. I know Susan died in 1870 which is why she does not appear on the 1871 census. I know both Joseph's died in 1878 which is why they do not appear on the 1881 census. The only jane Blaylocks that died in Brampton was one in 1877 and one in 1912.

I have not yet found any burial records for Joseph Senior, Susan, Joseph Junior or Jane considering it appears they all died between 1870 and 1881 in Brampton. There could be a small possibility that they are buried or have ashes in the same gravestone as Archabald and John. My research continues.
JBlaylockCumberland

Postby Templ4r » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:53 am

John was baptised on 13th july 1821 at Zion chapel, Brampton, so looks like they were nonconformists at some point.

Might be worth going down that route.

My Wife has Blaylocks, but they are from Hesket Bank.
Templ4r

Postby BucksGirl » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

Hi there JBlaylockCumberland - lovely to meet a relative!

Joseph Snr, Joseph Jnr, Susannah and Jane are all buried in Brampton churchyard, as is their son James, who died in 1867.

Burials are:
James Blaylock, buried 13 Dec 1867 aged 35
Susan Maxwell Blaylock buried 14 Jan 1870 aged 73
Jane Blaylock buried 26 May 1877 aged 61
Joseph Blaylock (Snr) buried 25 Feb 1878 aged 86
Joseph Blaylock (Jnr) buried 20 April 1878 aged 50

Hi Templ4r - many thanks for that. Yes, John was indeed baptised in Zion Chapel. The child born before John, Archibald, was baptised in the parish church, as were the 8 children born after John. Having looked at the days of the week of all of the baptisms, it would appear that the parish rector would only baptise on a Friday or a Sunday. John was baptised on a Thursday, so I suspect that this was an emergency baptism due to John not being expected to survive. The poor little boy died 8 days later, aged 5 weeks, being buried on 18th August 1821 in Brampton churchyard.
BucksGirl

Postby JBlaylockCumberland » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 am

Hi Templ4r and Bucks Girl. Thanks for your replies. Are the burials for Joseph Snr and Susannah etc in Brampton Old Churchyard or New Churchyard? Archibald and John are buried in Old Churchyard. I have tried to attach a photo of their headstone but im not sure if its uploaded properly.

As I say I am stuck in researching the Blaylock's prior to Joseph Senior so ive been trying to research Susannah's side. One thing that I have found is that there was a Shusanna Wright born in Stranraer, Wigtownshire Scotland in 1795. Its funny but Joseph and Susannah daughter, Susannah Maxwell Blaylock's marriage was reported in the Wigtownshire free press even though she was married in London which leads me to think that I could be on the right track. Shusanna Wrights family from what I have researched is as follows:-

Parents are Archibald Wright Wright/Elizabeth(Helen) McDowall married 26/03/1792
Children are:-
b 07/11/1792 Jean Wright
b 09/08/1795 Shusanna Wright
b 05/01/1801 Helen Wright
b 24/09/1803 Elizabeth Wright
b 26/05/1806 James Wright
b 05/09/1808 Archibald Wright
b 04/07/1810 Archibald Wright
b 20/08/1811 Bryce Wright

It may be coincidence and if I may have got this right but Susannah seems to have named her children after her parents and most of her siblings for example, Jane (Jean) Blaylock, Eleanor/Ellen (Helen) Blaylock, Elizabeth Blaylock, James Blaylock, Bryce Blaylock, Archibald Blaylock and after herself Susannah Blaylock. This would leave her other childrens names such as John Blaylock, Joseph Blaylock and Thomas Blaylock possible links to being named after Joseph's side of the family which could help in our research.
JBlaylockCumberland

Postby BucksGirl » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi JBlaylockCumberland. I am so sorry for the delay in replying - been too much ill-health going on!

As to whether Joseph’s family were buried in the old or new Brampton churchyard, that is a bit complicated! As you may know, the old original churchyard out of town at the old church, was closed to burials in January 1861, as was the “new” churchyard in Front Street, Brampton. At some point between then and 1863 - hopefully straight away(!) the old churchyard was extended, so from 1861-3, all burials happened at the new bit of the old churchyard. It was extended again in the 1880s. The current churchyard, a few yards down the road from the old churchyard, wasn’t built until around the 1960s or 1970s. So, given that Joseph and Susannah had John and Archibald buried in the old churchyard, despite the one in Front Street still being open for burials, I suspect that their daughter Elizabeth was also buried in the old churchyard. Having died after 1861, all other family members will be buried in the old churchyard, or its extension. None of our family will be in the current “new churchyard”, because it was not opened for almost another century.

I am intrigued by your investigations into Shusanna Wright and her family in Stranraer - I too am currently investigating that family as a possible candidate for our Susannah! As you say, the names are uncannily the same as those used by Joseph and Susannah to name their own children! There is also the fact that on the death of Joseph and Susannah’s daughter Susan, her son gave Susannah senior’s maiden name as Wright! Now this conflicts with Susannah telling the registrar, when she registered her daughter’s birth, that her maiden name was Maxwell! Maybe the grandson was mistaken - my own children certainly would not know my mothers’s maiden name! But then Joseph and Susan’s children used the name Wright as a middle name for their own children, which only adds to the theory that Susannah was Shusannah Wright! Another thing that is odd, and probably highly significant, is the fact that Maxwell was also used as a middle name by Joseph and Susannah’s children, for their own children! What is even more interesting, is the fact that Maxwell was only ever used if the Christian name was Susan - so there must be something very important about the combination of Susan and Maxwell that we have not yet discovered! This leads me onto the fact that, as you have quite rightly observed, Susan Maxwell Blaylock’s marriage was advertised in the Wigtown Free Press! Why advertise it there, unless for the benefit of remaining family in the area? To further complicate things, her marriage was advertised in 6 other newspapers as well, whereas Eleanor’s marriage was only advertised in one! Why is that? Is it something to do with her being a favourite child, or is it something to do with the hallowed “Susan Maxwell” combination?! It is all very intriguing! Certainly Susan’s brother in law, Rev Wrightson, seems to have been a very dodgy character - there is quite a lot about him in the newspapers, including him potentially faking his theology qualifications and wanting certain people “exterminated like rats”!!

Lastly, I am wondering if you have any family photos? Sadly I have none until my great grandfather reached adulthood - he was Robert Little Blaylock, son of Bryce Blaylock. Sadly Robert’s house was hit by a V1 in 1944, and he, his wife and the majority of their possessions were destroyed. So any photos that they may have had, were most likely destroyed with them. I will let you know if I find out anything else! And all the very best with your research - please do stay in touch.
BucksGirl

Previous

Return to General research queries