Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone help

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can anyone help

Postby ronariker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm

I am tracing the family tree and have not been at it very long. I am having a lot of fun with it, but I have hit a bit of confusion regarding my great great great grandmother. Her name was Janet Miller. Her father was John Miller, a weaver. She married my 3xgreat grandfather, John Bullions (1795-1868), in Perth in 1818. However, I have three possibilities as to where she was born. The other family trees on Ancestry suggest she was born in Ednam May 13 1805. She could, on the other hand, have been born on May 28th 1789 in Perth, although I think this is the least likely person. Her father is listed as John Miller and her mother as Mary Donaldson.

The one I feel is most likely to be 'granny' was born 22 April 1799 in Kinnoull, Perthshire. Father John and mother Ann Urquhart. The reason I am leaning towards this lady is because one of her children was named Ann - after her mother? Can anyone help me sort out this conundrum please?
ronariker

Re: Can anyone help

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Hi Ronariker,have found the marriage on scotlands people. 24th November 1818.
On the birth side if you put her name in and a father called John, you get 56 possibles around the right time.Maybe need to try and find her parents marriage and work forward from there?
Good luck
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby Amazinggrace » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi,have printed off the possible births that come up with the fathers name John.
On checking how old she would have been from these dates to when she was married,some can be
discounted as too old.
the list below is any up to 30 years old at the date of the marriage.
John Miller/Grisel Gray 1794 Stewarton
John Miller/Helen Bain 1793 Wick
John Miller/Janet Kidd 1790 St Martins
John Miller/Janet Downie 1793 Ayr
John Miller/Agnes Whitlaw 1790 Polmont
John Miller/Margaret Gutherie 1790 Irvine
John Miller/Margaret Kessan 1789 Blantyre
John Miller/Janet Thomson 1789 Barony
John Miller/no mother listed. 1788 Methven
John Miller/Elizabeth Taylor 1799 Kippen
John Miller/Helen Junkin 1790 Gargunnock
John /Miller/Elspet Baxter 1799 Meigle
John Miller/Euphons Brouster 1792 Collace
John Miller/Ann Urchquart 1799 Perth
John Miller/Anne Richmond 1800 Loudoun
John Miller/Janet Brown 1799 Paisley
John Miller/Jean Rennie 1797 Kilsyth
John Miller/Mary Donald 1791Bonhill
John Miller/no mother listed 1791 Kilbride
John Miller/no mother listed 1795 Caputh.
Hope this helps.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby ronariker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Thank you for the advice. I'll start searching for her parents' marriage and see where I end up.
ronariker

Postby ronariker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:50 pm

A quick update on what I have found since yesterday. Janet Miller, born in Ednam, lived her whole life in the Borders, judging by the census up to 1861. (I haven't checked past that). At that point, her father John is still alive and was 90! He wasn't a weaver, though, which totally discounts that Janet Miller being my 3x great grandmother. I am still hunting, but I am leaning ever more towards the Janet Miller whose mother was Ann Urquhart. Janet died young and her husband, John Bullions remarried very soon afterwards.

S thanks for the help. I feel I am on the right track now.
ronariker

Postby MJWK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:47 am

Hi. Have I missed something in what you wrote? If not, I suggest you look for her death certificate (assuming it was after 1855) which would provide her parents names. It will be registered under both her married name and her maiden name. You may then find her birth on the IGI index which would save a lot of time. Failing that, if you search all possibilities, you would know when you find the correct one.
MJWK

Postby Sylcec » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 am

Have you considered that Janet Miller's parents did not belong to the established Church of Scotland, but to one of the breakaway non-conformist groups? If this is the case, then you are unlikely to find her baptism on Scotlands People, or on Familysearch (someone referred to the defunct IGI).

I don't know how much background reading you have done, but recommend that you consult the Statistical Account of Scotland http://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/home - the first was published in 1791, and a new one in 1845. A search for Ednam (Edenham) in the 1791 edition shows this parish was actually written in 1794. You will need to page through it, but will give you a clear picture of the parish in the period your ancestor was born. The population at this time was about 600. There is also a comment that:
"The number of births, burials and marriages is not easily ascertained. Seceders, though obliged by law to register the births of their children in the parish register, consider the tax on baptisms as a profanation and often neglect it on that account; ..."
Sylcec

Postby SoozOne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 am

If you are a relative newby to family searches, I would suggest that you take the time to double check anything and everything on other trees as being correct before incorporating the info in your tree. There are those who sadly copy off other people's trees regardless without checking authenticity. I've found a number whilst researching my own family which are apparent copies, containing mis-information even down to copying the typos too.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
SoozOne

Postby ronariker » Sun May 07, 2017 12:28 pm

I have thoroughly discounted the Ednam connection and am still double checking some other things. It does look as though Ann Urquhart is the mother.
ronariker

Return to General research queries