Moderator Control Panel ]

Jewish family history

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jewish family history

Postby klatt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 am

My Ancestor William Abraham Jacobs was born at some point between 1795-1801. According to the census he was born in Walton, Surrey or Chelsea. I can find no evidence of his birth anywhere. My mother always says we have Jewish ancestry through the Jacobs line but all Williams children are baptised. I can also not find any evidence of his marriage to his first wife Faith or his second wife Martha. I recently discovered a Joseph Jacobs who lived in Walton on Thames according to land tax records. He appears to be the father of several children born in Walton on Thames notably a John Jacobs born in 1801. According to several census records he lived in Bevis Marks and appears to be Jewish. As does a sister Rachel born in 1808 in Walton on Thames and married in 1822 to Isaac Myers at the Hambro Synagogue. Is there anyway I can prove William is related to this family? Where do I look next?
klatt

Re: Jewish family history

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 am

Hello
A quick look gives the two wives as Faith Western/Weston and Martha Stocker.
Faith was buried at St Lukes Chelsea 12.2.1848 age 35 so his second marriage must be 1848-June 1850 when daughter Martha was born.
There is a William Wilkinson Jacobs marriage to Martha Solman Mar 1850 St Olaves 4 453 could they both be widowed and that be them?
If so it should give a father.

There is also a death duty index for a Joseph Jacobs 1821 Walton on Thames which may help with beneficiaries,hopefully William.
Damn I just found the Will on ancestry and it leaves everything to his wife Mary!

Familysearch does give some leads for the London Jewish community.

ttps://familysearch.org/wiki/en/London_Jewish_Records

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:50 am

There's a christening for the second wife

Martha Stocker 13.2.1825 d of John and Mary labourer New Town

at St Mary Abbots Kensington so it looks like she was christian .

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby sdup26 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:58 am

If you have no evidence of his birth, and he doesn't use it on censuses, can I ask where you found William's middle name of Abraham?
sdup26

Postby klatt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:26 pm

On his death certificate his name is recorded as William Abraham and he uses it on some of the baptism entries for his children. He also uses Jacobi not Jacobs on one of them.
klatt

Return to General research queries