Moderator Control Panel ]

Who do think u are live 2017

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Who do think u are live 2017

Postby daggerham » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi my name is Vicky and I'm due to attend this years event with my mum who is a wheelchair user we haven't been to a event like this before, we are both really looking forward to it, but we are unsure what to bring with us and how we should make the most of the day we just want some advice we are attending on the Thursday. Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
daggerham

Re: Who do think u are live 2017

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Vicky - pencils, paper, comfortable shoes, something to munch on if the eating places are full when you get hungry.

The most important thing is to get some idea before of what you want to see and what you want to talk to people about. That means a bit of preparation beforehand, which sounds like hard work but is the only way to stop yourself getting utterly frustrated.

When I went last year, I'd booked myself 3 presentations so that took care of part of the time, but I also looked through the list of exhibitors, thought about some of my knotty problems and scribbled down what I needed to the guys on those stands. Don't rely on memory because Murphy's Law says that you'll get brain fade at just the wrong time. If you think that you might be buying some books, write down what you have already - I love the Gibson Guides (where to find bits of stuff) but I really don't want to buy 2 copies of the more obscure ones. And despite all that I just wrote, if you see something better - follow it up, eg if you see one of your genealogical heroes, go and tell them that you loved their last book - but you didn't quite follow the bit about....

Above all, keep calm and don't panic in the queues....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby daggerham » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Thank you all for the advice.

daggerham

Postby Singleton1922 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Just to add something to Adrian's excellent advice - If you are hoping to visit the SOG's 'ask an expert' book this as early as possible to fit around any workshops you are attending. These sessions are appointment only and strictly timed. For most of the other 'expert' stands (photo dating and military experts for example) you simply join a queue.

Enjoy your day.

Singleton1922

Return to Genealogy chat