Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 am

coopernicola

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Postby coopernicola » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 am

meekhcs wrote:Oh dear!

I am just finishing the latest Future Learn Genealogy course and had made up my mind to finally purchase FTM 2017 after upgrading my computer end of next month.!!

I had also thought I'd give FTM2017 a go after the course. I'm also now undecided. Heredis & Legacy seem to have better feedback from users.
I'm good with tech but have never been completely satisfied with Family Tree programs for Mac.
coopernicola

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 pm

For what it's worth, following Ancestry's decison to stop developing FTM, I took the decision to change completely, and move to Family Historian. I'm glad I did, as it is like a breath of fresh air. No longer is data hidden, and completely under control of the software, the data is stored in a standard GEDCOM file, and fully accessible to the user. It does have a fairly steep learning curve, as it does things slightly different to FTM, but there is a good user group who are always there to answer your questions when you hit a problem.

Colin, with regards to being unable to log-on to see your hints, have you tried logging in first, before trying to see your hints? Family Historian also has the facility to provide hints from Ancestry, and I always login first before clicking on a hint. You also have a choice in Family Historian of where to view hints a) in the built-in browser or b) in an external browser. I tend to use the latter, as I normally have a browser open in any case.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ColinB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Mick Loney wrote:Colin, with regards to being unable to log-on to see your hints, have you tried logging in first, before trying to see your hints? Family Historian also has the facility to provide hints from Ancestry, and I always login first before clicking on a hint. You also have a choice in Family Historian of where to view hints a) in the built-in browser or b) in an external browser. I tend to use the latter, as I normally have a browser open in any case.

Hi Mick - my problem was that I couldn't view any records from search results , I wasn't looking at hints. I could search but then was asked to log in but couldn't as the form only flashed on the screen momentarily. The good news is I have solved the problem. I had tried re-registering several times with no joy , but yesterday I tried again and suddenly it worked. I have no idea why. I'm really pleased it's sorted but not at all impressed with Mackiev who've failed to come up with any response at all to this problem or my original difficulty with the download.

Thanks
Colin
ColinB

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Colin,
Whoops got that wrong, but you could still try logging first, before attempting a search. Nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Mick Loney

Postby helen.norton » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Well, after receiving an email to say that the period for a discounted upgrade was
ending I took the plunge and upgraded. No problems with installing the program, but it doesn't uninstall the previous version and therefore it began creating separate working folders on my laptop so I had to collate everything together into the one folder.

I registered for a family search account and those hints are showing in my tree, however, I have since discovered that in order for Ancestry hints to appear you now have to upload your tree to the site, whereas before the hints showed as long as you were logged in, it didn't matter if your tree was synced to the site, or not. According to the support staff, this is now necessary for the hints to appear. Has anyone else not got their tree synced but can still see the hints, or is it just me?

That's rather disappointing, if true, as I don't particularly want my tree to be on the site, privately or otherwise. I feel they should have made this clear prior to upgrading as all their bumf leads you to believe that all you have to do is upgrade to the latest version to retain all the old features, there is nothing about now having to upload and sync your tree to the site. I certainly would have thought twice about it had I known as one of the reasons for upgrading was to get the hints back!
helen.norton

Postby AntonyM » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:16 pm

It is annoying to have to upload the tree to get the hints, and many people were caught out by it, but I believe it was in the upgrade specification (although not as prominently as it might have been).

However - most hints are totally spurious anyway, so it isn't that much of a loss if you choose not to have them !
AntonyM

Previous

Return to Genealogy chat