Moderator Control Panel ]

Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Re: Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:32 am

The relevant Microsoft article appears to be on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... ons#compat

And down at the bottom, the top comment is from someone trying to install FTM 2 days ago.

Essentially, there seems to be an issue with FTM trying to install a different version of the Microsoft .Net Framework. Now, whether it's a later version or an earlier one than what you already have, I have no idea.

Your message is covered in the list but the suggested fix requires going into the Registry. If your reaction to that is, "What?", then don't do it.

I think that you need to go back to MacKiev with this and the screen shot (for which, thanks). They are responsible for delivering an installation package that works. I'm loathe to criticize them because I have no idea what the underlying issue is; and it's virtually impossible for them to test every single version of Windows in any case. They'll need to know things like your Windows set up and what version of the .Net Framework you already have - and they should be able to tell you how to give them that.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 am

Hi Adrian,

Thanks so much for your reply...it's much appreciated.
I just wish now I bought the CD because I now just can't be bothered to chase this up.

I will just have to put this down to experience and continue to access my tree via Ancestry.

Cheers,

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:49 am

With Ancestry discontinuing the sink facility and now this has cost me a small fortune which is not good for these companies...I won't be recommending the download facility

pete25

Postby ColinB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:55 pm

I had trouble downloading the free upgrade , having paid to update to the 2014.1 version. I couldn't get it to download and eventually resorted to forwarding the email to another computer , downloading there and then used an external hard drive to transfer. I have never had a response from Support to my request for help. I managed to install the program and can synch with Ancestry but every time I try to use the Web search it says I'm on ancestry.com and will transfer me to the UK site. I then get a rapidly flashing image asking me to subscribe , in dollars , or sign in. I can't sign in because the form disappears before I can make a keystroke. The result is that I can't view any records. I've been on LiveChat about this but have been left waiting for some kind of response when they can work out what the problem is. They don't seem to have any idea.
I'm now considering RootsMagic , but I don't really want to spend more money - I should be able to use what I've paid for !

I know others have not had any trouble , but I wouldn't recommend FTM 2017 to anyone at the moment.
ColinB

Postby pete25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Ok, I've used another computer I rarely use and now I've been successful downloading FTM2017.

I'm now at the stage of syncing my Ancestry Tree.

Once I've done this I will check things over and let you all know how things have turned out.

So pleased now that I've been able to do this as I enjoyed Ancestry's syncing facility.

Thanks to everyone for your comments as your comments kept me at this and now it appears I've been successful...fingers crossed.

Pete.

pete25

Family Tree Maker 2014 update now available

Postby pete25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm

Ok, all now downloaded and looking good at the moment.

My media is now processing and looks as if this is going to take a little while.

I'm liking the new facility to link my tree to Family Search. Family search indicate (via a blue square box) that there could be possible further records connected to each individual in my tree.

Looking good up to now.

Pete.

pete25

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm

I have the last pre-2017 Mac version of Family Tree Maker, and love it. Like a previous correspondent, I have never synced to Ancestry. And like her, I now find that I cannot go online, as of a few days ago. This means that my mapping facility, for places on my Tree, doesn't work.

I have to say that this is very frustrating, as it is a really useful facility. As it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ancestry or Ancestry Trees, I am a bit cross to say the least. I cannot understand how I can just have the link to the internet cut like that.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Postby meekhcs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Oh dear!

I am just finishing the latest Future Learn Genealogy course and had made up my mind to finally purchase FTM 2017 after upgrading my computer end of next month.

Now I am unsure again after reading of Pete's and Colin's troubles.

I am not very confident with technology and if anything went wrong with the installation I wouldn't have a clue what to do next!!

Another re think and perhaps a computer course!!
meekhcs

Postby pete25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:44 pm

Hi There,

I've now downloaded FTM2017 to my other computer without any troubles.
You might like to consider purchasing the CD instead which should make your life easier when loading FTM2017 to your tree.

Good luck,

Pete.

pete25

Postby JaneyH » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm no techie but it all worked fine for me. My laptop has Windows 10 and everything went smoothly. That said, I had all my files backed up to an external drive - just in case anything didn't go to plan.

JaneyH

PreviousNext

Return to Genealogy chat