Moderator Control Panel ]

Difference in names

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Difference in names

Postby Emma123 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:03 am

Hi, I seen today that my partners first name on his birth certificate is different from the one on statutory records (scotland) there isn't two certificates as I've read about which has confused me! The middle name and surname and all other details are the same and theres no evidence of a deed poll or other alteration. Any advice/input would be appreciated
Emma123

Re: Difference in names

Postby AntonyM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 am

Anyone is free to use whatever name they wish, there is no requirement to have any official record of it.

Perhaps it was changed by baptism, or just by usage later because of a change of mind ?
AntonyM

Difference in names

Postby brunes08 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:45 pm

I have found several people in my family that used a different forename from the one they were registered and/or baptised with. There could be any number of reasons why this should be so. Perhaps they didn't like their name or were given a nickname. Sometimes it was to differentiate one person from another who had the same name. For example, my gt grandmother and my grandmother were both registered as Hannah but my grandmother was always called by her middle name. My father always called my mother by her initials which created a shortened form of a name. No rhyme nor reason often. I also have a 4xgt grandfather who went through life using two surnames - one his birth surname and the other his step-father's surname.
brunes08

Postby Siann » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm

[quote="AntonyM"]Anyone is free to use whatever name they wish, there is no requirement to have any official record of it.

Antony - whilst you're absolutely correct in this statement, my experience is that HM Passport Office demand legal documentation. I changed my Christian name many moons ago because I did not like my birth name. It was very simple to amend official documentation eg bank, council tax, National Insurance, HMRC and DVLA, however, the Passport Office flatly refused to renew my Passport without a legal change of name document. It left me no choice but to sign a Legal Declaration otherwise accept not being allowed to leave the UK. Fortunately, I had telephoned the Passport Office ahead of my renewal appointment and was able to obtain a Legal Declaration just in time, preventing a 200 mile wasted journey.

I do hope I wasn't misled by them! :cry:
Siann

Postby Artognou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi,

Changes in names can be down to many things, only just recently I discovered that my uncle's name was actually the same as his father's and not his middle name which he has been using since way before I was born.
I have found that name changes in my family have been due in some part to anglicisation, it depends on how drastic the change has been.
Artognou

Postby Artognou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I have to make an additional comment, my neighbour's late father had to amend his passport when he emigrated to England from Jamaica, his surname was taken from his adopted parents and he had to revert back to his birth name.
Artognou

Return to General research queries