Moderator Control Panel ]

michael John Hook

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

michael John Hook

Postby maxine tallon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a death certificate for Michael John Hook which states as the cause of death "hanging by the neck" suicide. This occurred in January 2002 at 4 Ships Close Harleston Norfolk. which appears to have been his address at the time of death. There was an inquest and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to get a copy of the Coroner's report. I am curious as to why he might have killed himself. The death certificate gives his birth place as Harleston which is incorrect as he was born in Watford, so suggest there was nobody who knew much about him. His mother had died in 1999 and from her death certificate his address is given as 13 Chapelfields Denton Harleston Norfolk which was his mother's address so he was living with her. I have not found any marriage for him and have no idea when he moved to Norfolk but presume it was when his mother and father moved from London. The family has Norfolk connections on his mother's side. The house in Chapelfields was sold a few months after his mother's death and the house in Harleston was also sold in January 2002, I have no idea whether the family owned wither house.

thanks
maxine
maxine tallon

Re: michael John Hook

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm

At a very swift Google, this seems a fairly comprehensive report: https://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/354-Coroners-records

I have no knowledge how accurate it is but would highlight these bits
The Coroner has a legal obligation to retain all files for 15 years. It is then up to individual Coroners to decide what happens to the files, this accounts for regional variations in survival.

Apart from the time, which I had no knowledge of, this seems to match my understanding.

An applicant will need the current coroner's permission to have access to the report, unless it is more than 75 years old.

Seems highly likely - Data Protection must be a distinct requirement - not of the deceased, but of any living.

Coroners' Reports
Firstly, don’t get your hopes up. Many records are routinely destroyed, and of those surviving you may have problems of access due to the Data Protection Act (I have seen 75 or 80 years closure mentioned). Depending on the age, the first place to make enquiries is the local Records Office. For more recent records, try the local Coroner’s Office (find out the current contact details via the Police HQ website). Bear in mind that a Coroner's report is not likely to give you any insights into the life of the deceased. It is primarily a procedural document, and unless there were special circumstances, you will get very little information.

Data Protection - as I thought / expected....

For full details, have a look at the link but, to repeat, I can't confirm the accuracy of the stuff on that link.
Adrian
AdrianB38

michael John Hook

Postby brunes08 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 pm

I've tried looking for a possible report in newspapers but haven't found anything as, unfortunately, the British Library newspaper archives haven't yet digitised anything for Norfolk after 1999. You say that you do not know if the family owned the house. Have you tried looking for a will for his mother or father? That might provide you with some useful information.
brunes08

Postby maxine tallon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks both of you, I will try the link and look for a will, and maybe try Norfolk Family History to see if they have anything from local newspapers.

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:02 am

I have the impression that a number of newspaper companies have their own back copies online covering several years in the past. Not sure of the details because they've never gone back far enough for my genealogical purposes, but you might try looking at the sites for local newspapers - treat it as (old) news, not genealogy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby maxine tallon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 am

thanks Adrian will try that.
maxine
maxine tallon

Return to General research queries