Moderator Control Panel ]

William Wigley Smith

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William Wigley Smith

Postby haryc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I have two bibles, one is inscribed 'William Wigley Smith the gift of his Granma Mary Ann Smith' and the other 'William Wigley Smith the gift of his Granma Smith March 1st 1852'.
They were with the things of our late aunt and I would like to find descendants of William Wigley.
I have no idea why she would have them in her keeping or what the connection is to our family.
I have found a marriage of William to Elizabeth Long Bray and 9 children. I have found marriages for some, one of which was to a Cannon, but have still no clue to any connection.
Our aunts married name was Canning although there is family talk that it may have changed from Cannon???? and her hubby was Irish. Her maiden name was Goodchild and the family originated from Kingston on Thames.
If anyone can give me any clues or would like more information, I do have some more that I have found, I would be very grateful.
Kind regards
Carol
haryc

Re: William Wigley Smith

Postby brunes08 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 am

I looked on familysearch.org for any information. The marriage of William is there plus two other entries that might be of help. A couple of years after his marriage there are Tax Assessment documents listed for a William Wigley Smith in Kent, in the Sevenoaks district. That might be worth following up. I haven't looked at any other sites yet to see if there is more information elsewhere.
brunes08

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am

Hello
I've looked on Ancestry and no family trees on there.
Perhaps a list of their children would help.

William Alfred Smith 13 March 1871- 1891 with parents
Jessie Maud 15 June 1873 -1891 with parents but looks like she married a Mr Middleton.
Charles Douglas June 1875 -Sep 1875 died
Sidney Ernest Sep 1876 m Sep 1903 Mary Elsie May
Lizzie Gertrude 13 April 1879- 1901 servant Leyton
Clara F 1880 -1891 with parents
Mabel Edith Dec 1881 m 1909 Henry Osborne James Cannon.
Amy Ethel Mar 1884 -1911 with mother
Edgar Hubert 29 Jan 1886 -Mar 1972 Poole m Edith Helen Kilner 1925 Fordington Dorset.

And according to the 1911 there was 10 children 3 who had died.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby haryc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:04 pm

I am so sorry not to have acknowledged these replies. I asked for an email when I got one and it didn't materialise.

I will certainly follow up on the Kent hint and the extra child (Charles Douglas). I had another born in 1871 called John. No idea what happened to him.

With a name William Wigley Smith I was sure someone out there may have heard of him.
These bibles are so old I would not like to throw them out.

Many thanks for your replies.
Kind regards
Carol
haryc

Postby haryc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 pm

I am obviously not as adept at searching family search as I thought.
Found his marriage (I knew that anyway so it was easy) but no tax records.

I have him in 1851 in St Pancras, Marylebone, with parents William & Dinah
1861 still in Pancras lodging as a furniture shopman.
In 1871in Lewisham with son John aged 3weeks.
In 1881 in Finsbury as a furniture dealer.
In 1891 in Leyton as a furnishing salesman
In 1901 in Leytonstone Road, West Ham with his full name as a house furnisher
by 1911 he wasn't at home with Elizabeth who was living in Ealing with their youngest daughter.
He died in Nov 1911 and was buried in Ealing and Elizabeth was buried with him in 1918.

Carol
haryc

William Wigley Smith

Postby brunes08 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 pm

I have just had another look on Family Search at the Tax Assessments for 1871 and 1872 that I mentioned in my earlier post. You have found William in Lewisham with his young son in 1871. The further detail of the Tax Assessments gives Lewisham (Sevenoaks, Kent) which fits with the census you found. The records are held at the Kent Archives, Maidstone, Kent - Kent Register of Electors 1570-1907. That is what Family Search has transcribed. You could also access them through a local Family History Centre.

Regarding your comment about not finding the Tax Assessments. When you go onto familysearch.org, don't fill in the details on the first screen. Scroll down until you come to a map of the world. Tap on the British Isles - this brings up a small menu of the separate countries. Tap on England and then insert your details. The Tax Assessments came up very quickly - about the fourth or fifth down. If you scroll down further, you can click on the link for all the record sets available in order to narrow the field. Hope that helps.
brunes08

Postby haryc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:26 am

Thank you I will try that. I'm a bit old for new tricks but I'll see if I can remember to that in future.
It sounds very helpful.
Carol
haryc

Return to General research queries