Moderator Control Panel ]

John Richard Foot

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Richard Foot

Postby Artognou » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:35 am

Hi everyone,

I have made a post about my third great grandfather John Richard Foot in the past, but last night I decided to try to take up this seemingly endless brick wall again and I made a few random searches on familysearch.
After scrolling through many pages I came across a census from 1851, before I go on, I must elaborate;

John was born in Flushing/Mylor in 1815 to John Robert Foot and Dorothy Philips, he married Mary Ann Symons in about 1835 and up until 1842, they had four children together.
John Jr isn't on the 1841 census, presumably out at sea with his father, and after the birth of their youngest child, Elizabeth in 1842, he pretty much vanishes.
Mary Ann got with a chap called George Brooks and by 1847, is having children with him but there is no sign of them ever having married.
I happened to find a census late last night from 1851 of a family living in East Stonehouse, Devon, head of the family is a John Foot, born circa 1814 in Penryn, married to an Isabella Fanny Ollive from 1845 - I found the transcript of the marriage on familysearch.
They have two children together and John is a commander in the royal navy and his father was a shipwright in the RN.
I've checked and double checked for anyone called John Foot born in Penryn and I haven't found a thing, being in close proximity to Falmouth, Mylor, etc, I'm wondering whether John and Mary Ann separated, rather than him vanishing into the aether and he's giving a slightly wrong birth location.
I know that I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I'm sure you can understand my rejuvenated curiosity.

Any help would be greatly received and eternally appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex
Artognou

Re: John Richard Foot

Postby sdup26 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:49 pm

On the birth certs of her children with George Brooks, presumably Mary calls herself Brooks as if married, but is she formerly Symons, or Foot?
sdup26

Postby phsvm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm

My first thought would be to say have you tried to trace the parent of your original John Richard any further? If so what was John Robert Foot's occupation?

Have you tried following the children of John Richard's marriage to Mary Ann? Did any of them marry? What do their marriage certificates say about the father's occupation - not failsafe I know but a start. If marriage certificates give father's occupation as that of their step father then you haven't got any further and in my opinion may indicate that their biological father was out of the picture pretty early in their lives but they may give you a lead. Certificates should also state if father is deceased (although if he'd disappeared they may of course not have known).

My feeling would be to use a bit of lateral thinking and instead of concentrating on the subject (John) look at those connected to him. That would include the family of this newly found John Foot.
phsvm

Postby brunes08 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi Alex, I have an ancestor born in East Stonehouse in the early 1800s. He was in the Royal Navy and I managed to obtain his service record from the National Archives. If you haven't already done so, it might be worth your while looking for service records of your gentlemen to try to unravel some of your issues. I'll have a think about other possibilities as I have Cornish ancestors going back to the 1500s in that area so have lots of places to look for Penryn/Mylor records.
brunes08

Postby Artognou » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Many thanks for your replies, everyone.
I have researched the family quite well, John Robert Foot was a shipwright in the RN and he had quite an extensive service record, including being aboard HMS Victory.
John Robert Foot's father was aboard HMS Namur and an officer for HMS customs.
I'm descended from John Richard Foot's oldest child, Richard Marshall Foot, who was a fisherman predominantly on the south coast, even though he lived in Essex.
I have the marriage record for Richard's marriage and it states that his father was a carpenter, I can only presume that this meant a shipwright.
Richard had a younger brother by two years called John Henry Foot, he also married in Essex, but as of yet, I haven't been able to get his marriage record because I couldn't find it on the Seax website, even though I painstakingly searched for it.
The two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary both died young, so unfortunately, no marriage would have been possible.
I also know that Mary Ann and Mr Brooks had three children, the first, a daughter, died in infancy and the two sons lived much longer lives, I haven't yet ordered their birth certificates due to having ordered a few on other lines of the family - it seems that my line is crawling with mysteries!
I'm hoping that I'm paid early, because I need to look at the marriage for John and Isabella.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it so much.
Artognou

Postby sdup26 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

On the 1851 census for East Stonehouse, there's the John Foote you found, married to Isabella Fanny, and four pages back on the same census, there's a John Foote aged 66 (1785) described as Captain (+ something Navy?? hard to read), Magistrate for Devon, born Kent, wife Fanny Foote (1789) and daughter Fanny Adeline (1829), both born Devon. Coincidence?
sdup26

Postby ianbee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Details of the marriage
18 December 1845, Parish Church, Stoke Damerel
John Foote, of full age, Bachelor, Commander Royal Navy, residence Parish of East Stonehouse, father John Foote, Captain Royal Navy
+
Isabella Fanny Ollive, of full age,Spinster, residence Stoke Penlee, father John Ollive, Surgeon
by Licence
witnessed by ?, Fanny Foote, Fanny Adeline Foote
all signed
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 pm

sdup26 wrote:four pages back on the same census, there's a John Foote aged 66 (1785) described as Captain (+ something Navy?? hard to read), Magistrate for Devon, born Kent, wife Fanny Foote (1789) and daughter Fanny Adeline (1829), both born Devon. Coincidence?

England, Devon Bishop's Transcripts, 1558-1887
Name: John Foote
Baptism: 23 November 1814
Place: East Stonehouse, Devon
Father's Name: John Foote
Mother's Name: Fanny Foote

The image of that BT is available for free on FamilySearch if you are registered with the website and are logged in.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... at=2171031
Note in the margin gives a date of birth.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Baptism at Mylor, Cornwall
6 January 1842
Elizabeth
parents John Richard + Mary Ann Foot
abode Flushing
father a Carpenter

Free image on Family Search (for this one you don't even have to be registered!)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1769414

And the baptism of John Richard Foot at Mylor, 11 June 1815
Parents John + Dorothy. Father a Mariner
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... &cat=41749
ianbee

Postby brunes08 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:01 pm

You said that John Richard Foot and Mary Ann Symons were married about 1835. I had a rummage and found that they married on 12 March, 1836 at the church of St Melorus, Mylor. Both were of the parish, he a bachelor and she a spinster. The marriage was preceded by Banns. The witnesses were Jane Foot and Thomas Martin.

I couldn't find a John Foot from Penryn but that is not necessarily an issue. I have come across several instances where the nearest larger town is mentioned as the place of birth rather than a little village nearby. Mylor is only a short distance from Penryn, less than a couple of miles, but Penryn had been an important port prior to the development of Falmouth so better known.
brunes08

Next

Return to General research queries