Moderator Control Panel ]

John Richard Foot

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: John Richard Foot

Postby Artognou » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:01 am

I can't thank you all enough for your help, this is why I love this forum!
At least this John has been eliminated from my search, I don't think that I have any other ancestors who have proven to be such a colossal headache, when it comes to seeking a death date!
My memory of John and Mary Ann must have faded somewhat, I have a lot of documents on a hard drive, but at the moment I'm operating from my Sony Xperia, Jane would have been John's sister and she married not long after.
Sadly there are quite a few members of the Foot family at this time, or a bit earlier, who have just disappeared without trace.
Mary Ann has also proved to be a problem, because I have really hit a brick wall with her parents!
Artognou

Postby brunes08 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 am

I've found a baptism for a Mary Ann Symons that may be a distinct possibility. The baptism was at St Gluvius the Martyr on 8th November, 1818. Her parents are Joseph and Joanna Symons. Joseph is a labourer and their abode is Penryn. I do not know where you are Alex, but all these places are on each others doorsteps, so to speak. St Gluvius is now part of Penryn and as mentioned in an earlier post, very close to Mylor.
brunes08

Postby Artognou » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 am

Hi brunes,

Thanks again, I know that Mary Ann was born in Falmouth circa 1812 according to census records, there has been a possible birth from late 1812 in Falmouth for a Mary Ann Semmens to a Joseph and Martha, but that's about all I can find, they appear to be a mystery.
I have found a Joseph living in Mylor in 1851, but I'm very much in limbo with this line.

Thank you so much for your help so far, hopefully I might be able to see all of this with fresh eyes, it's been one of the most puzzling parts of my research!

Also, I have been living in Oxfordshire since 1986, but I am originally from King's Lynn - following in the family tradition of going from one end of the country to the other!
Artognou

Postby Artognou » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I have to say thanks once again for your invaluable help.
I have made some slight progress now, one thing that didn't help my research was when I found the marriage record for my great, great grandfather, he'd only given the details given for John Richard Foot's occupation and no indication whether he was deceased and I'd trawled through the Essex records looking for the marriage record of his younger brother, John Henry Foot with no success, but I ordered the civil record and John Sr is listed as deceased, so I now have a definitive timeline to search for his death, which is a relief.

I'll also push the boat out soon and order the birth records for all of Mary Ann's children, which should clear everything up a bit more.
I've also been in touch with the Cornwall records office and they've found the original parish record for Mary Ann's birth and they were decent enough to spare some intriguing details about Joseph's occupation.

Hopefully I might be close to smashing this brick wall!

Regards and unending thanks to you all,

Alex.
Artognou

Postby ianbee » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:42 pm

ianbee wrote:Free image on Family Search (for this one you don't even have to be registered!)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1769414

And the baptism of John Richard Foot at Mylor

Not any more, I'm afraid.
"These images are viewable:
To signed-in members of supporting organizations.
When using the site at a family history center."
ianbee

Postby Artognou » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I have noticed that very recently, luckily when I first started to use the familysearch website, I downloaded all of the images related to my research.

It's a shame, but from what I can gather after a conversation with someone from the Cornish records office, FMP might have just secured the rights to these records?
Artognou

Postby Artognou » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received a couple of documents from the Cornwall records office and one of them was the original parish record for Mary Ann Semmens' baptism, no mention of her being illegitimate and her father, Joseph, is listed as a soldier.
The new question that has arisen about the parents is their abode, on the record all of the respective abodes have been filled in as Falmouth, except two, one has been written in some detail as being a marine on an HMS, now my family's entry for the abode has been left blank - typical, more digging to be done!
Would this potentially mean that Mary Ann's parents could have come from elsewhere?
Artognou

Postby ianbee » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:19 pm

BT is here (if you are registered and signed in to FamilySearch)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... at=1833554

As you say, no abode. All I've come up with is an indexed entry for a Joseph Simmons in the Napoleonic War Records 1775 - 1817 on fmp. County Cornwall, Army of Reserve
No idea what other info it may give, or if it has any relevance at all.
Ian
ianbee

Postby Artognou » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply, and the link, I shall download that and make sure I save it several times!

I believe that this Joseph was living in St Germans, I did also find another Joseph who was living in Camoren (?), a place that seemingly doesn't exist, unless it's Lamorran or Camborne and there was some bad writing?
It's a very tough one!
I can't work out if this mysterious couple were of the county, or from elsewhere in the country.
Artognou

Previous

Return to General research queries