Moderator Control Panel ]

Changes:London FamilySearch Centre; microfilms generally

Found any online record sets or tools that have helped your family history research? Share your discoveries here

Changes:London FamilySearch Centre; microfilms generally

Postby MaureenE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 am

I noticed this announcement on the London FamilySearch Centre website, including the final advice that FamilySearch microfilms will be discontinued in the future.

I wonder whether there will be equivalent online images made available, or will information just disappear?
http://londonfamilyhistory.org/important-news/

Cheers
Maureen

03/03/2017
IMPORTANT NEWS

Microfilm Collection
The permanent microfilm collection now at Kew has been given to the Society of Genealogists. According to current plans, it will be available there starting the week of 5 June. See http://www.sog.org.uk for address and opening times. For those who are not members, there is a daily or hourly charge for using the Society’s resources. Films will likely not be accessible at Kew from about mid-May. Further information will be given when available.

Patron short term films at Kew
Patrons who now have short term films at Kew will be able to continue to view them after mid-May at Kew using TNA film readers. Scans of images will continue to be available. Film orders which have not yet arrived will be delivered at Kew as normal. Any films ordered and received as indefinite loans before mid-May will be shipped with all other permanent films to the Society of Genealogists and can be viewed there.

Film Ordering
FamilySearch will be discontinuing film ordering due to the expense and non-availability of the raw film needed to make copies for circulation. The date is not yet known, but may well be in the next 12 months.
MaureenE

Re: Changes:London FamilySearch Centre; microfilms generall

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:40 am

Does this mean an end to being able to order films at a centre or just that they aren't going to create any new films? It's not very clear!

Paul
Paul
paulr1949

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:28 pm

The way I read it - both.

Because no-one is making microfilm (or, perhaps, making it at a sensible price?) then FS can't create any new copies of existing films to satisfy orders from FH Centres (I'm guessing that orders are satisfied by the creation of new copies, not the loan of existing one).

So, no ordering.

Secondly, this means that any filming of new documents will be digital only. But that's what I thought was the case already.

So no new microfilm publications.

This is what I think it means - since I've never ordered FS films I could be talking nonsense.

But the bulk of the notice is about reducing the presence of the LDS Family History Centre at Kew, which I get the impression has turned into a bit of a cuckoo in the nest.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby ianbee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 pm

AdrianB38 wrote:But the bulk of the notice is about reducing the presence of the LDS Family History Centre at Kew, which I get the impression has turned into a bit of a cuckoo in the nest.

Coincidence?
FHC at Kew
"Films will likely not be accessible at Kew from about mid-May."

TNA
Changes in the first floor reading rooms
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/abou ... ing-rooms/
"The next project will result in the creation of a large events space and is due for completion in May 2017."

Pity the London FHC had to leave Kensington. How I used to love going there!
ianbee

Postby MaureenE » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:42 pm

The FamilySearch announcement has been replaced by an updated version dated 13 March 2017 which includes more details, including the following:

"FamilySearch has now digitised the film collection at Kew, and is now beginning to make some sub-collections available online to browse at any family history centre including Kew. As an example, the burials of Woodgrange Cemetery, all post-1858 record copy wills for both the Prinicipal Registry and the District Courts, and the Irish Registry of Deeds films held at Kew are now available. The rest of the Kew films have been given a very high priority in the schedule of providing digital remote access to films, but it is not possible to say when each film will appear. Legal issues may prevent some of the Kew collection from being available online.

Kew films now available to browse will be able to be identified using the Salt Lake Family History Library catalogue available under ‘Search’ on the FamilySearch website. Go to the film number as shown in the Family History Library Catalogue filtered by ‘London FamilySearch Centre’ and look for the little picture of a camera to browse. Also available to browse are more than 65,000 films from the British Isles and many tens of thousands of films from other parts of the world which are not part of the Kew film collection.

Note that these online films will not appear in a list of ‘historical record collections’ or ‘browse collections’ on the ‘Search Records’ page".

http://londonfamilyhistory.org/news-con ... ch-centre/
Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby MaureenE » Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 am

The above announcement no longer appears and has been replaced by a blog dated 12 April 1917

"London FamilySearch Centre Microfilm Collection Transferring to Society of Genealogists.

The following announcement was written by the Society of Genealogists:

The London FamilySearch Centre microfilm collection, which is currently temporarily located at The National Archives, is transferring to the Society of Genealogists in Clerkenwell. The move reflects a partnership between the Society of Genealogists and FamilySearch to ensure that the microfilm collection continues to be available to family historians. The London FamilySearch Centre will continue to provide its research support services at the National Archives.

The collection of about 57,000 microfilms complement the SoG’s remarkable library of genealogical sources and both bring together, in one place, an unparalleled resource for family history researchers in the UK. Having been carefully curated over many years, the FamilySearch Films include many thousands of copies of original church and local records from the United Kingdom and Ireland; probate records for England and Wales before and after 1858 and selected items for Caribbean research.

The films will be available to view at the National Archives until 31 May and should be available for consultation at the Society of Genealogists Library from 26 June 2017.

Information about visiting and using the Society of Genealogists Library can be found on the SoG website http://www.sog.org.uk/the-library.

June Perrin, CEO of the Society says “ The Society of Genealogists is delighted to offer a home to such a remarkable collection and looks forward to welcoming family historians to our library in Clerkenwell”

Else Churchill
Genealogist"

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby ianbee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:21 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned on the forum, but the London FamilySearch Centre at Kew is permanently closing on 23 March 2019.
The good news is that TNA is becoming a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, "meaning that access to all digitised records on FamilySearch will continue on PCs located in the reading rooms"
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 am

I think that there may be a slight caveat - Kew will have access as an Affiliate, whereas previously it had access as an FHC. Specifically, there may be stuff that FHCs can access but Affiliates can't - Maureen may be able to comment further because I think that she identified some India Office films that were no longer accessible by Affiliates for reasons that were unclear. Possibly not a major impact for Londoners in that exact case, given that the British Library is "just up the road".

Online access ought to be documented in the FamilySearch online catalogue.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby MaureenE » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:39 am

ianbee wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned on the forum, but the London FamilySearch Centre at Kew is permanently closing on 23 March 2019.
The good news is that TNA is becoming a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, "meaning that access to all digitised records on FamilySearch will continue on PCs located in the reading rooms"
Ian

Thanks for advising Ian. I looked on the website, now called London Family History and all I could see was a banner saying "Time to get a move on", but no other details at all. However, I found this link from Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter dated 25 February 2019
https://blog.eogn.com/2019/02/25/london ... arch-2019/ which reports

"The following is the announcement from FamilySearch:

Advances in technology mean that FamilySearch can now provide its free services to
visitors at The National Archives more flexibly. Many records can now be accessed at
home, in one of our local Family History Centres, or in a FamilySearch Affiliate Library.

The National Archives has agreed to become a FamilySearch Affiliate Library, meaning
that access to all digitised records on FamilySearch will continue on PCs located in the
reading rooms. Visitors will need a FREE FamilySearch account to access records and
self-help guides will be available. You will notice little difference, other than that our
volunteer workers will no longer be present to provide 1 to 1 assistance."

Adrian is correct that there are certain records that can only be accessed at a Family History Centre, and not at an Affiliate Library. The records that I am familiar with which fall into this category, are some, but not all, of India related records which originate from the British Library in London. Those who can get to the British Library will have no problems. However, in countries like Australia, where there aren't many Family History Centres, this restriction is more significant. There could be other records which can only be accessed at a Family History Centre, see the FamilySearch Catalog.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby MaureenE » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Does anyone know whether the Family History Centre at the National Archives at Kew actually closed as anticipated 23 March 2019.

The website
http://londonfamilyhistory.org/visit-us/
is still showing (at the time I write this) that "The London Family History Centre remains temporarily at the National Archives at Kew for the immediate future." There have been recent blogs added to this website, but nothing about the closure at Kew, although a banner on the home page says "Time to get a move on".

However the National Archives website in News, dated 20 March 2019 says
Changes to the reading rooms
From Monday 25 March the London Family History Centre will no longer have a physical presence in the reading rooms at Kew, and we will be repurposing the space it currently occupies.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/abou ... ing-rooms/

So it seems probable that the closure at Kew has occurred and London Family History Centre website has inaccurate information. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Return to Useful resources