Moderator Control Panel ]

Isaac MORSE and Susannah MILLS

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Isaac MORSE and Susannah MILLS

Postby brunes08 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 am

If they still exist, you may be able to obtain copies of the divorce documentation from the National Archives. I obtained some for my gt gt grandparents when they divorced in 1875 - interesting reading! I was also able to find details of the hearing in several newspapers. If I remember rightly, divorce papers come under J77 at the archives. At that time, a man could divorce his wife if he could prove she had committed adultery. However, a woman had to prove a case of adultery plus another circumstance against her husband, such as desertion, cruelty etc. I was able to obtain the documents by ordering them on line and they cost me just the postage plus photocopying - about £9.00 - which arrived beautifully packaged and promptly. It was well worth it for all the information the documents contained.
brunes08

Postby AntonyM » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am

J77 Divorce papers (up to 1915) are also available on Ancestry.
AntonyM

Postby ciderdrinker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 am

Hello
Could this be Sussannah's baptism at St George the Maytr
Sussannah Mills born 5th Jan 1843 bapt 19.5.1843 d of William and Elizabeth Ann Mills Bridge House Place house agent.
If so in the 1861 census they are still at Bridge House Place and no sign of Isaac and Susannah.
It looks like they may have eloped.Perhaps her parents already realised he was a 'bad' lot.There's no sign of Susan after the 1851 census when she is with her parents.

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Return to General research queries