Moderator Control Panel ]

John Hunt and Rebecca Brown

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

John Hunt and Rebecca Brown

Postby Artognou » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 am

Hi everyone, I've recently been doing some head scratching over my 6th great grandparents, John Hunt and Rebecca Brown.
I know that they married at St Stephen's, Norwich in 1766 and I also am fairly sure that John was born and baptised at St Augustine's in 1743, which is also where all of their children were baptised, however I have been heavily deliberating over Rebecca for some time now, there are two very likely options, the first was born at St Augustine's in 1736 to a John Brown and Rebecca (last name unknown) and the second was born at St Stephen's in 1742 to Francis Brown and Frances (last name unknown).
The last of their children was Samuel John Hunt, born in 1781.
If anyone could help me and steer me in the right direction, I would be ever so grateful, because this has been something that I've been mulling over for a while!

Many thanks in advance, Alex.
Artognou

Re: John Hunt and Rebecca Brown

Postby ciderdrinker » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Hello
Well ,there's a burial at St Augustines
Rebecca Hunt 12 Feb 1815 age 77 hamlet of Pockthorpe

So I'd go for the first one.
She might take a year or so of her age but wouldn't add them surely

John seems to have been buried 7.8.1806 age 63 married man so Rebecca's burial for 1815 does seem to be her.

ps possible marriage John Browne and Rebecca Baxter St John De Sepulcre Norwich 8.10.1732 both widowed.But there is a burial for her 10th May 1733 wife of John Browne
The other couple are Francis Brown and Frances Stoughton married 25.12.1731 St Mary Coslany Norwich

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Postby Artognou » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi ciderdrinker,

As always, you come up with absolute gold!

I wasn't able to find those marriage records for some reason, but I shall definitely look further into this.
Were these records on FMP?
I really need to update my subscription to there, anyway.

Many thanks again, I did think that I was going mad for a while!
Artognou

Postby brunes08 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am

I have Norfolk ancestors. I have found many useful entries on freereg.org.uk. Norfolk is one of the counties that has nearly full coverage. You will find transcriptions only but these have generally been pretty sound so have helped me find the correct originals. If you do not subscribe to it, the Norfolk FHS has a large collection of records on its site. It costs £10 per annum for UK members but a little more for overseas, as a useful magazine is sent every three months. If you are interested you can check on www.norfolkfhs.org.uk.
brunes08

Postby Artognou » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

Hi brunes,

Thank-you for the links, they've been extremely helpful already.
I definitely need to subscribe to the FHS websites, a lot of my ancestors were very scattered around England past a certain point, quite a lot from counties that haven't yet been transcribed, or published.
It may be an expensive month, but I love it!

Thanks once again!

Alex
Artognou

Postby paulr1949 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi

Have you also seen this site?
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/
Although old, it's got a lot of information and I found quite a few of my Norfolk ancestors. I have recently joined the Norfolk FHS - but be aware that their on-line database does not have complete records before 1837, there are quite a few gaps.
Paul
paulr1949

Postby Artognou » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for the link, Paul, I'll be all over it in a few minutes!
Artognou

Postby Artognou » Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 am

Hi everyone,
It looks as though the John Brown and Rebecca were actually Bruff and not Brown.
I managed to find the baptism record and it's definitely not Brown, I saw that John Bruff and Rebecca were having quite a few children at this particular parish.
Back to the drawing board again!
Artognou

Return to General research queries