Moderator Control Panel ]

James Castleman

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

James Castleman

Postby meekhcs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:14 pm

Can anyone read the attached certificate and decipher the rank or profession on the marriage certificate please? I am wondering if it is the marriage of my ggg Uncle James Castleman who was transported to Tasmania in 1841, recommended for a Cond. pardon in 1845, given a Ticket of leave in 1846 and whose pardon was approved Jan 1849.
The original document can be found on familysearch by entering James Castleman Australia Death 1850-1920 and this record came up.

Edited=I had to shrink it to this size for it to be accepted.

Many thanks

Sally
Attachments
record-image_3QS7-89CH-7F69 (640x489).jpg
record-image_3QS7-89CH-7F69 (640x489).jpg (235.62 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
meekhcs

Re: James Castleman

Postby 2012girl » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm

My guess would be Farm Servant, with servant abbreviated, and Bach (elor) written underneath that.

Jill
2012girl

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm

I'll buy that as well - "Farm Serv't"

As an aside - I note these marriages were carried out according to the "Rites & Ceremonies of the Church of England & Ireland" - not a formula I'd seen before, but presumably both used the Book of Common Prayer...
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby meekhcs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Jill and Adrian

Thank you I "saw" Farm but couldn't decipher the second word. The letter S for servant looks very similar to the S in spinster.

I really should have got that especially as he was a farm labourer in England!!

I am still plowing through records for him but I will check out the cert wording when I get time.

They had to obtain permission to marry because although James was by then a free man Elizabeth was not free, and I haven't looked into her situation yet.

Thanks again Sally
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm

Sally - you said that you found the record on Familysearch. An even better free resource for Tasmania records is LINC Tasmania https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/ which includes convict records as well as bmd. Looks like she was convicted at the Old Bailey in 1843. Have fun - there is much more to find!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Sylvia - Thank you I had found that link. I have also searched on Trove.

James is my third great Uncle and I have managed to put together the following by searching Ancestry, FMP, Familysearch, Archives OfficeTasmania and Trove;-

James Castleman was baptised in Barton Stacey Hampshire in 1813 son of Benjamin Castleman and Mary Brackstone.

In Feb 1840 he was convicted of Rape, along with three other persons, at Southampton County Assizes held in Winchester, and was sentenced to death.

March/April there were a flurry of petitions and letters concerning the case and James' sentence was commuted to 10 years transportation to Van Diemans Land - Tasmania.

James was transported aboard Asia 6 and arrived in Tasmania in 21 Aug 1841.

He was sent on probabtion for 15 months to Lovely Banks. By the 3 August 1844 he was at Pittwater for a further 8 months (Trove).There are various other dates and place but due to the book fold these are illegible.

Aug 1845 he was recommended for Conditional Parol
Sept 1846 he was granted a Ticket of Leave
Jan 1849 Conditional Parol was granted
The above confirmed by newspaper postings found on Trove

According to his conduct record CON33/1/9 Find my Past his certificate of freedom was granted 20 July 1852.

Meanwhile James Castleman married Elizabeth Layton In Brighton Tasmania 1 Oct 1849, after being granted permission to marry a couple of days before. James was described as a free man but Elizabeth was still serving her sentence for robbery with violence and had arrived aboard The Woodbridge.

I have been unable to discover what hapeened to them next, whether they had children and when and where they died.

Can anyone suggest further records for me to search.

Thank you Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Two points I missed in my previous post
1. On his marriage cert in 1849 his age is recorded as 30, denoting a birth year c.1819. On his criminal records his birth year is consistently given as 1816 whereas he was baptised in 1813!
2. I found a record on Victoria Coastal Passenger Lists for a J Castleman male, 35, birth year 1818, SINGLE travelling from Launceston Tasmania to Melbourne arriving 23 Sept 1853. Where was Elizabeth?
3 There is a death in the Victoria Deaths for a James CAstleman bn 1819 died 1854. Parents James (Sh Be Benjamin) and Mary. Again no mention of Elizabeth.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Following on from my last post I am as sure as can be that this is the death record for my James Castleman. On investigating further his place of birth is listed as Hampshire and his spouse is given as Elizabeth Leighton. So Father's name recorded incorretly is probably just an error or incorrect knowledge on part of informant. Still no actual date or place of death.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:20 am

Sally - bear in mind that gold was discovered in Victoria in 1851 - and followed rapidly by the 'rush' to the diggings, so this is most likely the reason why James Castleman would have shipped to Victoria as soon as he got his CF - certificate of freedom. Incidentally, CP = Conditional Pardon (not Parole).

To find the details of actual date and place of death, you will probably need to outlay the funds to buy an uncertified image of the death registration for James - the records are very informative and instantly downloadable after making the purchase from https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj. Although as you have name of spouse and pob, it suggests that you may have done this ..
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Sylvia - Firstly thanks for the correction re CP. I wrote it correctly in the first post on this thread and then must have muddled my thinking with the present justice system!! ...and I probably would have carried on in that vain had you not pointed it out to me!

Yes I wondered if he had ventured to the mainland to try his luck in the Gold Rush. I have found a Victoria coastal record for Elizabeth travelling from Launceston to Melbourne aboard the Koningen deu Nederlanden, steerage class, status Conditional Pardon, Ship to Colony Woodbridge (which proves it is my Elizabeth), departing 12 August 1853.

I have also found a newspaper article from Trove in The Argus Melbourne dated Mon 12 Sept 1853 which reads "James Castleman your wife has arrived in Melbourne and is on the road to Bendigo to meet you".

BUT I have also found a Victoria coastal record for a J Castleman Age 35 Birth year 1818 marital status single Departing form Launceston on 23 Sept 1853!! .......bound for Melbourne.

If these are my James and Elizabeth then three things stand out Elizabeth is travelling in her maiden name, James travels AFTER Elizabeth, and James states that he is single.

Elizabeth's conditional Pardon is approved in June 1853. Although they married in 1849 presumably she would still have been under the control of the authorities until her pardon was approved. Were marriages of transportees recognised by the authorities?

Regarding the death cert for James Castleman. I found the original death record on FMP Victoria Deaths 1836-1985 Transcription. It states
Name James Castleman,Age 35, Sex male, Birth Year 1819, Death year 1854, Father's name James, Mother's name Mary, Death Place --, State Victoria, Reg No 4690.

I then found the link you have suggested, found him in the index and when I clicked on his name I found the following extra info to that listed above - Place of Birth Hampshire, Spouses family name Leighton, Spouses given name Elizabeth.

So apart from the Father's name all other details seem to match. My question is if I purchase the certificate is it likely to contain the actual date and place of Death and the cause of his demise? I do not have any knowledge of Australian certs.

Many thanks for your input

Sally
meekhcs

Next

Return to General research queries