Moderator Control Panel ]

James Castleman

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: James Castleman

Postby Sylcec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:42 pm

The coastal passengers certainly are a puzzle. I had wondered if the year, say 1852, had been misread as 1853 - but no, it is quite clear. There is another Jas (or Jos) Castleman who travels from Hobart in March 1853, but he is too young to be your man - shown as 24 instead of 34 (hm could this be a recording error).

Convicts wishing to marry did have to seek permission from the Governor and there are digitised records listing these permissions.

Victorian (and in fact the vast majority of Australian) birth, marriage and death certificates after civil registration was introduced are very informative. Recognising that the information on a death certificate is only as good as the knowledge of the person giving it, they are highly informative - Victorian ones are particularly good and I think (need to check) that it was possibly the first State to introduce civil registration in 1853. So, yes, you would certainly get date and place of death as well as other family information. Can't remember if it lists children of the marriage as well.
Sylcec

Postby meekhcs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Sylvia

I purchased the death record online and as you said it contained a lot of info.

So James was a digger at Sailors Gully Bendigo. He died on 3rd July 1854 after suffering with Enteritis for 6 weeks. He was buried at the Burial Ground at Kangaroo Gully. The informant was his wife but unfortunately I cannot read the description of her as it is very faint. The record confirmed that James and Elizabeth did not have any children.

I saw the Victoria coastal record for the 24 year old James and I did wonder if perhaps there was a recording error, and the snippet in the Newspaper about the wife being on the road to Bendigo maybe was them as well.

Perhaps, knowing that Elizabeth had received her conditional pardon, James had returned to Tasmania to take her to Victoria, only to find she had already left. A nice romantic notion!

And yes I have seen the copy of their permission to marry.

So once again a big thank you for your help.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 am

Sandcastle
I have seen your PM, albeit nearly a week after you sent it because I didn't receive notification of it, and have replied.
If you are still visiting the Forum please do get in touch. I am afraid the notification system for PM's doesn't seem to be working properly.
I will send another PM containing my email address.
Regards Sally
meekhcs

Previous

Return to General research queries