Moderator Control Panel ]

Help George Henry Smith

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Help George Henry Smith

Postby jimbo50 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:35 pm

[quote="JMcKinnon"]Frederick Smith a Snowman appears in the newspapers a couple of times. :D

I can't believe this is in June, as he would have disappeared by Springtime.
Apologies Jo but couldn't resist it. :D
Jim
jimbo50

Postby ianbee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:25 pm

Well, I've eventually managed to find in Ireland in 1901 some at least of the 1st Battalion of the KO Yorkshire Light Infantry.
Where they are enumerated by initials.
But still no appropriate G S!

Townland/Street: Castle Street
District Electoral Division: Limerick Urban No. 2
County: Limerick

And George hasn't shown up with those in Pontefract, or anywhere else!
Attachments
Yorks Light Inf  1901.jpg
Yorks Light Inf 1901.jpg (130.75 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:01 pm

The forces war records website apparently has an entry for George in their Military Hospital Discharges + Admissions database (from MH 106 at TNA)
G Smith
No 6444
Rank Private
King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Year 1914

Presumably to do with the head wound (not serious) he sustained in France in October 1914 (army service record)
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Well, I don't know if Alison is coming back. But I'll post the details of the chap I noticed who just might be her George, maybe he'll get eliminated down the line, maybe not.
George Henry Devine
His birth was registered in Croydon, March qtr 1883 (vol 2a page 249)
Just a dash for mother's maiden name in the new GRO birth index, so he appears to be illegitimate.
He had an other brother Richard, who as far as I know was his only sibling, born 1880.
Registered as Richard John Devine, June 1880, Croydon

Baptisms at Coulsdon
22 July 1880, PB (Private Baptism) of Richard John, parent Louisa Divine, Single woman, abode Portnalls Farm Cottage. Born 13 April 1880
So far I have not been able to find them in the 1881 census

I think this will be George, with an invented father, though perhaps Louisa was living with a man called John?
1st April 1883, Henry George, parents John + Louisa Divine, abode Smitham Bottom. Father a Labourer. Born 8th February 1883
(the George Henry Smith we are looking for had a d-o-b of 4 Feb 1881 in the 1939 Register, his
army attestation age was consistent with being born Feb 1882)

Then a marriage, June 1888 Croydon 2a 444
Divine, Louisa
Lewis, Frederick

1891 census
piece 588 folio 13 page 19
4 Pump Pail, Croydon
Frederick Lewis Head 37 ? Tanner (possibly) Surrey Mitcham
Luisear Lewis Wife 29 Laundress Surrey Oxtead
Richard Devine child 11 Surrey Coulsdon
George Devine child 8 Surrey Croydon

School admissions records
Two for Richard Divine, both giving d-o-b of 13 April 1880
The first one (Brighton Road Junior) was in February 1888 (just before the Lewis marriage) and gives parents as John + Louisa. Address 159 Bynes Rd.

Entries for both George + Richard Divine at Croydon Ragged School. Not sure when they were admitted. Parent - Fred. Address 4 Pump Pail
What is interesting is that on this school record George's date of birth is given as 4.1.83
Not the same as on the likely baptism (8 Feb), so there may have been some later confusion about his exact birth date.
He left Croydon Ragged to go to another school in May 1894.

I am wondering if Frederick Lewis may be the Mitcham born man of the same name in Yalding, Kent in 1901, with a probably recently acquired new family, including step children, who originate from the Croydon area.
If so, what happened to Louisa?
George and Richard Devine/Divine seem to disappear completely

There are some similarities here at least. George Henry, born Croydon, whose two birth dates between them include George Smith's 1939 date (4 Feb)
Mother was Louisa.
Step father was Frederick
Older brother was Richard

Louisa may have been the Louisa Devine whose birth was registered in Godstone district in 1860.
Again, she appears to have been illegitimate. No sign of her yet in any other census.
Could she herself have had a traveller background? Could her illegitimate son George have believed that his father was a travelling showman called Smith?
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 am

Well, Alison has come back. But has not bothered to reply. Which is very disappointing after all my hard work, especially looking for George in the army. Not to mention the help I - and others - gave her earlier. It seems that I am wasting my time on here.

She didn't get anywhere with it on Rootschat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... msg6229450
ianbee

Postby meekhcs » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Never mind Ian, there are many many on here who are eternally grateful, and really appreciate all the time and effort you are prepared to give!

Sally
meekhcs

Postby jimbo50 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Yes Ian. Your posts, and the way you phrase them, educate a lot of people in the numerous ways there are of dealing with these problems. They are far from being a waste.
However, its possible that Alilou hasn't been aware of this going on in General Discussion. She was on Military (which I wasn't aware of until you posted this) . Jim
jimbo50

Postby ianbee » Mon May 08, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Sally and Jimbo
Thank you for your kind words!
It's easy to get a bit too involved sometimes, and perhaps that what I have done here. I sincerely hope that Alison does manage to find something eventually. I can understand how frustrating this problem must be for her, I have Smiths of my own!
Ian
ianbee

Postby alilou03 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 am

I am so sorry Ian I don't get notified of replays so I didn't see this reply I just found it by accident today
Thank you so much for all that info I really do appreciate it and will re read and digest all you have told me
Again I apologise I don't know why I don't get notifications, thank you so much

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
alilou03

Postby alilou03 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:12 am

I gave re read all the info and follow it up thanks again
Alison

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
alilou03

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries