Moderator Control Panel ]

Nurses records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Nurses records

Postby rusalka » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm

on the 1911 census a distant ancestor of mine I'm researching is Called Florence Adelaide Randell b. 1874 she is a licenced nurse in Fulham area of London.768 Fulham Road.
( She marries in 1913 Thomas Conyers Elliott a vet). I've searched all possible names too. She dies in 1939 Fulham.

Tracing her work records are proving impossible having exhausted all know obvious means
there are absolutely no records of her as a nurse nor any activity around WW1
any ideas to help anyone ?? She may have been a private nurse & I would like to find out about her training & her records as a nurse.
rusalka

Re: Nurses records

Postby brunes08 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:05 pm

This may be of help but not entirely sure. My grandmother was a midwife and worked at a nursing home at 630 Fulham Road after she qualified in 1914. I looked for Florence on the 1911 census and saw that she had a lodger, Mary G Stephens who was also a midwife. I understand from an uncle that the home at 630 was run by a Nurse Daniels. Often, my grandmother would travel to different parts of the country to be with the lady of the house while she was confined. I have all my grandmother's certificates etc stored away safely so will have a look to see if I can suggest anything more to you. I haven't followed this up for some years so it will be interesting to re-visit it all. Will get back to you as soon as I find anything.
brunes08

Postby peter kent » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 pm

When you say "obvious means" does that include the advice in the National Archives research guide?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... rs-nurses/
peter kent

Postby sdup26 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am

I'm really not sure that Florence was a 'licensed' nurse in 1911, despite the transcription on ancestry; her housemate is 'trained' and if you look at both words carefully, they look the same, that is, 'trained.'
Queen's Nursing Institute Roll of Nurses 1891-1931, and the UK & Ire Nursing Registers 1898-1968 are on ancestry, and Florence isn't listed on them. Hopefully, brunes08 can help further, and as Peter says, it's worth trying the National Archives; I tried there for Florence but although I couldn't find her, I was short of time so could have missed her.
sdup26

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Not directly helpful but it may help with research or background to read Tracing Your Medical Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians by Michelle Higgs (Pen & Sword, 2011).

My understanding is that Registration wasn't mandatory until 1921 and that earlier lists (some of which are on Ancestry) cover only a portion of the profession.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sdup26 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Bear in mind too, that around Florence's time, 'trained' could mean, for example, that someone had worked in a hospital and learned on the job. However efficient, that person probably wouldn't be found in any official records as a nurse. Do you have reason to believe Florence used her training to serve in WW1, or is it just a possible line of enquiry?
sdup26

Postby rusalka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses.
all obvious searches included the national archives.
I'm very grateful for the info re Nurse Daniels owning the building. Possible Midwife or training ?

I would be interested if Florence was involved in WW1 but I cannot find anything.
Being an amateur genealogist I've traced everything re her lineage but nursing & medical "stuff " I'm not that clued up on.

her first husband she married in 1913 was Thomas Conyers Elliott & its actually him our family is related to. Florence was his first wife. Her father was William Monteith Randell a professor of singing teacher born in the midlands. Thomas Conyers Elliott was a vet & its a bit of a mystery as to how they met. I cant find any records of him either in WW1 despite his father was Major Robert Elliott of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.
I would be fascinated to know how Florence met Thomas & what their roles were in WW1.

Also could they have been unfit for the WW1 war effort ???
rusalka

Postby rusalka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:51 pm

brunes08 this most interesting !!!!! Would there be any other info or pictures you have in regard to 630 ?

what kind of a nursing home would it be ??
rusalka

Postby rusalka » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 pm

630 Fulham road is now known as Lilyville Surgery

http://www.lilyvillesurgery.co.uk/websi ... 20door.png
rusalka

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:20 am

The loss of up to 75% of the detailed WW1 British Army records in a fire in WW2 means that there is no certainty that you'd find records for any given person. If his detailed records are gone (which is probable remember), then the next best bet are the Medal Rolls or the Medal Index Cards. But if he's in there as Thomas C Elliott or even just as Thomas Elliott, you might be looking at him, not realise it and have nothing to identify him. (Apologies if you know all this already). And if he never left the UK but stayed here, looking after horses, say, then he wouldn't be in the Medals stuff at all.

So your inability to identify him in any WW1 stuff isn't necessarily your fault and it certainly doesn't mean that he never served in the war.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries