Moderator Control Panel ]

More information needed for an occupation

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

More information needed for an occupation

Postby gh485 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:33 pm

My 2 x Great Grandfather Andrew Moncur was a China Merchant plus auctioneer in Forfar, Aberdeenshire.

Does anyone know what exactly a China Merchant was and how might he have got into it considering his parents were linen weavers?
gh485

Re: More information needed for an occupation

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:17 pm

He sold china - i.e. high class pottery.

Saying that his parents were linen weavers doesn't actually define their social level very well. It could mean that they had a small business, maybe just employing their own family, and from that got enough money to set their son off in a slightly more upmarket job. Or it might mean that they just had to work at a loom owned by someone else, getting paid a pittance by their boss. Or anything in between.

My own 4G GF was a linen weaver in Dundee but his son, my 3G GF, became a small scale merchant in his own right, initially arranging the weaving of cloth on behalf of the merchants who owned it (or the thread) and working his way up. So a climb of the ladder is quite possible, depending on where you start.

Check to see if there are any Guild records for weavers in Forfar (or wherever his parents came from) - Dundee has such records but neither 4G GF nor 3G GF appear in the weavers guild, so they weren't that high up.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: More information needed for an occupation

Postby junkers » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:59 pm

You might like to be aware that Forfar has never been in Aberdeenshire but in Angus and that might help you find any records.
junkers

Return to General research queries