Moderator Control Panel ]

When was the photo taken?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

When was the photo taken?

Postby gh485 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:23 pm

[attachment=0]Group photo.jpg[/attachment]
Does anyone recognise what year this photo might have been taken?

Also does anyone recognise any of the people? The man without a hat on the right is our 2 x great grandfather Matthew Batterbee. We think the people in the centre are our 3x great grandparents but this would mean the photograph is pre 1888 as the man (also Matthew) died then.

Matthew Batterbee was born in Gayton 1852. He died 1946 in Guisborough. He was a Justice of the Peace but started as an Ironstone Miner.

If we can just identify another person then we think we could confidently say the people in the centre were who we think they are

Thanks

Gill
Attachments
Group photo.jpg
Batterbee family
Group photo.jpg (61.32 KiB) Viewed 846 times
gh485

Re: When was the photo taken?

Postby Past Times » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:41 pm

I would put an approximate date on this photo as somewhere between the mid 1890's and 1912. Ladies Mutton leg sleeves were the fashion in the 1890's and the mens shirt collars are of the period between about 1900 and 1912.

Likewise, the children in white dresses was a popular way to dress both boys and girls around 1905-1910.

I have several photos of my gt grandparents taken between 1907 and 1911 and in all those pics the adults are wearing very similar clothing and the children are wearing white dresses. My photos are all named & dated (at the time), so I am quite sure of the dates on my photos.

Hope this helps :)
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Return to General research queries