Moderator Control Panel ]

Are there any DNA testing kits that use a blood sample?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Are there any DNA testing kits that use a blood sample?

Postby MercyStreets » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm in hospice with my father right now. We had recently decided to do some research on his heritage and family (He is adopted) but he suffered a heart attack a few days ago and doesn't have much time. The nurses suggested looking for an Ancestry DNA test that can be done with a blood sample because I won't have time to get a swab kit mailed. Is there a test like this? I can have them get a blood sample much easier than saliva. Thank you for your time
MercyStreets

Re: Are there any DNA testing kits that use a blood sample?

Postby devonliz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:00 am

The major testing companies are easily found via Google, and they usually offer a lot of information. Ancestry DNA is a brand leader, and it links with one-name studies.
BritainsDNA does give a phone number on the home page and you might like to call them.

It is important to realise that the various DNA tests will give only general information about the regional origin of your father's forebears, and it is very unlikely that a close relative will appear in the database. My father's closest Y-DNA match in a one-name study (where everyone has the same or similar surnames) may have had a common ancestor several hundred years ago.

The commercial DNA testing companies ask for a cheek swab (cells and saliva) because this is easier to collect from healthy people. However there is an inevitable delay while the kit is mailed out, and the sample must then be posted back to the company. You are presumably thinking that it should be possible to use a stored blood sample if there is not time to wait for the testing kit.

Meanwhile, your father will be reassured that you are talking to him about his family stories and that you have the research in hand.
devonliz

Postby Sylcec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

This is a new company that I have recently heard about. They are based in Somerset, England, so should be easy for you to get in touch with. They apparently aim to be able to identify place of origin in England down to parish level. This is all hearsay, and I haven't read much of the blurb on their website, but it might be useful to you. https://www.livingdna.com/en-au/our-history
Sylcec

Postby stefano » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Living dna takes time. Roughly 100 days once you send it back to be analysed. It is quick getting it too you.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
stefano

Return to General research queries