Moderator Control Panel ]

Esther (Hester) Brooks, Devon

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Esther (Hester) Brooks, Devon

Postby Sylcec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:29 am

Esther Brooks may have had 3 children as a single woman; there were
Thomas Ellis Brooks, b. 26 Feb & bap 15 Mar 1835 at Brixton Parish Church
Joseph Woodman Brooks, b. 6 March & bap 26 March 1837 at Brixton Parish Church
and probably
John Stevens Brooks, b. 7 July, bap 23 July 1843, Plympton St Mary, Union Workhouse, where the mother is recorded as Hester Brooks.

I think that Esther/Hester is probably the Hester Brooks who appears in the 1841 census age 25 in the employ of Samuel Woollcott at Ridgeway, Plympton St Mary.
Thomas Ellis may be the 5y.o in the Plympton workhouse in 1841
Joseph Woodman is probably the lad living with a family surname Blatchford at Brixton in 1841 - I have followed him until his death in 1906.

But what about Esther/Hester? Is she the Esther Mitchell Brooks b. 1813 and d. 1893 (in workhouse 1891)? Where is she in between times? It is interesting that her children have been given 2nd Christian names which suggest that they may be the putative fathers' surnames. Workhouses.org has relatively little about the Plympton St Mary workhouse and suggests that not many records survive. Some bastardy bonds could be useful.
thanks, Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: Esther (Hester) Brooks, Devon

Postby ianbee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi Sylvia
Esther and the boys show up in Plympton relief lists, has the number of weeks spent in the workhouse, also a couple of lists in Brixton. Indexed with images on findmypast, Devon, Plymouth & West Devon Parish Chest Records 1556-1950
It's a bit disappointing that there doesn't appear to be anything more juicy than that, in all honesty.

In 1851 there might be a possibility in Plymouth St Andrew - Ester Anning, 34, born Plymouth
piece 1879 folio 796 page 24

May be some discrepancies in that 1851 census
1861 in Charles The Martyr is better -
piece 1435 folio 29 page 51
John Anning Head 42
Esther Anning Wife 50, born Plymouth
George Anning Son 13 Plymouth
Francis Anning Son 11 Plymouth
John H Anning Son 8 Plymouth

Is there a marriage for John and Esther?
Possible birth registrations for the sons -
March 1848 Plymouth
Anning, George
mother Brooks

Sep 1850 Plymouth
Anning, Francis
mother Brooks

Dec 1852 Plymouth
Anning, John Henry
mother Brooks

Baptisms for the boys in 1859, Sutton at Plym
Possible death for John Anning in 1885, Plymouth, age 66 (where then are the Annings in 1881?)
But I can't see any death reg for an Esther (or even Hester) Anning
Ian
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:05 am

Ian - you're brilliant!

You said
Esther and the boys show up in Plympton relief lists, has the number of weeks spent in the workhouse, also a couple of lists in Brixton.
The only ones I can find are indexed as 1837 for Brixton - but this is part of Plympton St Mary Union.
Actually I think the page which names the boys must be from 1840 because Joseph is aged 2 3/4. This has some figures in the R-hand margin - do you think this is means number of weeks in workhouse?
FMP is not always the easiest site to search, but their Devon collection really is a goldmine.
I am sure you are right about Hester Anning being the same as Esther Brooks, though like you, I also haven't found her and John Anning in 1881 - workhouse is always a possibility!

Anyway, I am now strongly of the opinion that she is:
Esther Mitchell Brooks, b. 1811, d/- Francis and Mary Brooks, nee Mitchell who m. in 1788
We identify her in 1835, 1837 (births of sons), 1841 census, 1845 (birth of son), then
1851 census as Ester wife of George Anning, a bargeman - but is this the same person as John Anning, coal porter found in later records? They both have the same place of birth. (On the other hand, given her history, it maybe doesn't matter if it isn't the same person, but a relative.)
1859 baptism of 3 sons born 1848 (George), 1850 (Francis), 1852(John H)
1861 with John Anning (Esther aged 50 - the only time her age fits with a birth in 1811!)
1871 with John Anning
1881 ?? not found
1891 as Esther M Brooks again in workhouse (desc as charwoman)
1893 dies in workhouse as Esther Mitchell Brooks

Thanks again
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Sylcec » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Just to tidy up this story - I have found a delightful piece of evidence in the "Western Courier, West of England Conservative, Plymouth & Devonport Advertiser" of 16 Nov 1853, under heading:
AN OLD DODGE
Esther Hanning alias Brooks, was charged with stealing two baked dinners from the bakehouse of Mr Buncehall and Mr Ramson. The prisoner on Sunday week tendered penny, and claimed a dish of meat and potatoes which was in the bakehouse, and the loss was not discovered for some time. On Monday she performed the same trick at the other bakehouse, but she was soon discovered. The parties were unable to identify the dishes and the bench allowed the prisoner to be discharged. !!!!
Q.E.D.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby ianbee » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi Sylvia
Well it doesn't then seem to have been a secret that Esther wasn't married to Mr Anning.
I did find it a little surprising that she didn't keep John's name and she reappeared as Brooks in the workhouse in 1891, and on death.

It seems those other two boys of hers died in Plympton workhouse
Thomas Brooks buried Plympton St Mary, 13 January 1845, age 9
John Brooks, buried same place, 27 January 1845, age 1 year 3 months
abode for both Union Workhouse
But John was more like eighteen months old, going on the birth date you have.

We can follow them in the Plympton lists for the quarter ending Lady Day 1845
Esther Brooks, born 1810, spent every day of the thirteen weeks in the workhouse (91 days)
Thomas Brooks, born 1835, all of the first two weeks, 2 days of the third week (16 days in all)
Joseph Brooks, born 1837, all thirteen weeks (91 days)
John Brooks, born 1843, all the first four weeks, 2 days of the fifth (30 days)
Ian
EDITED Put the wrong year for Thomas!
ianbee

Postby Sylcec » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 am

Well, well, well - thank you again Ian. I really don't know why I wasn't able to find the Brooks on the in-door relief lists (workhouse) on previous searches, but have finally managed to see the records. It looks as if they were almost permanent residents of the workhouse, and have even found Esther and Joseph in for several weeks in the period ending Lady Day 1846. Curiously Joseph is there for a week less than his mother.

Regarding her presence in the workhouse in 1891, I suspect that she would have still been well known to the authorities, so may not have had the choice of using any name other than Esther Brooks.

thanks again
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to General research queries