Moderator Control Panel ]

No WW1 record

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Re: No WW1 record

Postby MaureenE » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 pm

An online book which explains the various categories of men who are outside the Military Service Act, although it does not include a list of reserved occupations. The is however a section called "Starred, Reserved and Certified occupations" on page 4 (image 6)

The Military Service Act : fully and clearly explained by Philip Snowden. 1916? British Library Digital file.
http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81 ... 7.0x000002

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby brunes08 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 pm

There is an interesting article in the May 2017 Who Do You Think You Are magazine on appeals for exemption from military duty and the Tribunals that ensued. According to the article, the Ministry of Health ordered these records to be destroyed in the 1920s , apart from a very small number in a few Counties which would provide vital information should there be need to repeat the need for such exemptions in future years.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:05 am

Just to add a recent experience of mine. One guy who was a carter in civilian life, volunteered in 1915, went first into a garrison battalion, then into an Agricultural Company of the Labour Corps. All of this was in the UK so no Campaign Medal was issued. His papers were burnt in WW2.

Fortunately, he was in the Absent Voters' List for the area. If the AVL didn't survive, then that would normally have meant that there would be no trace of his service, even though it happened.

In his case, he seemed to apply for campaign medals in about 1920. He didn't get them, which is how I know that he never left the UK. But the service details on the Medal Index Card recording his application, let me see what units he'd served in. If he hadn't tried it on, for want of a better term, I wouldn't have those service details.

So 2 things that helped with this guy - but the AVL isn't always there and the Medal application is hugely rare, I believe. Without one or both of those, I would have had no clue that he was ever in the Army.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Previous

Return to Military help