Moderator Control Panel ]

Dunbar Family connection or not?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dunbar Family connection or not?

Postby RozBanks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:11 am

On my mother's paternal side my 3x great grandfather Charles Dunbar married Margaret Weldon in 1845, Dublin, the family then moved to Birkenhead, Cheshire between 1845-1851. In 1869 in Birkenhead, their daughter Margaret married my 2x great grandfather Alexander Dunbar, a mariner from Belfast. Just wondering if there a connection other than a marriage between the two Dunbar families from Dublin and Belfast who all ended up Birkenhead?
RozBanks

Re: Dunbar Family connection or not?

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm

I found that the Irish middle class families that I was looking at, intermarried like no-one's business. But these were Church of Ireland who were either landowners in their own right or the top level of tenants below them, who were officers in the Army, JPs, etc.

To what extent intermarriage continued lower down the social scale, I have no idea.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby RozBanks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Charles Dunbar was a stonemason and was probably working class, he died in the workhouse. I know many first cousins did marry back then. I just haven't found any proof that the two Dunbar families were related yet. It doesn't help when I can find no Irish baptisms for Charles or Alexander either!
RozBanks

Postby devonliz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Are you sure they are Catholics? Alexander Dunbar sounds like a classic Scots-Irish name, I.e. probably Presbyterian.
My Belfast mariner family did marry cousins.
devonliz

Postby devonliz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Do you have the marriage certificate for Alexander Dunbar and Margaret? It may give his father's name.

I looked in the index of the Ulster Historical Foundation (searching by surname only) and found that there are baptisms for Alexander Dunbar:
1828, father Daniel, in Antrim
1836, father William, in Down

Belfast sits between the two counties. Paying to see the relevant entry will give you the name of the church (could be C of I or Presbyterian) and possibly the mother's name.
devonliz

Postby RozBanks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Alexander's father was called Daniel occupation land steward. It's possible they were Presbyterian. Charles Dunbar's denomination was Roman Catholic according to his marriage record. I have searched for years for Charles and Alexander's baptism records, I was hoping all the new Irish baptisms online would have their records, but there is nothing so far.
RozBanks

Postby RozBanks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I have seen the 1828 baptism for an Alexander Dunbar a while back, but the birth is too early. Alexander's birth has to be between 1840 -1845. The 1901 and 1911 census also has his birth down for 1842.
RozBanks

Return to General research queries