Moderator Control Panel ]

Private tree question

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Private tree question

Postby C Verrill » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Does anyone know if you can alter an existing family tree set up on an Ancestry account to become private or is this something you should do right at the start please? I think I want to protect my tree from people poaching my hard work before asking if I mind!

Thanks - Christine
C Verrill

Re: Private tree question

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Try it!

Certainly I have seen "No longer accessible" messages but can't confirm whether the tree had been protected or deleted.

The only question I'd ask is - if you are determined that no-one should have access to your research - why put it on Ancestry in the first place?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pete25 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:43 pm

I have mine on Private as I buy certificates and lots of them and I ain't saving anybody hundreds of pounds by copying mine.
And also, people never ask they just download. Also, in the past I've noticed people like to ask for info and yet don't want to share...keep your trees PRIVATE folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby pete25 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Answer to your question:

Yes you can change the settings anytime.

All the best,

Pete.

pete25

Postby carobradford » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I'm largely with pete25 on this one. Keeping a tree private on Ancestry does not hide its existence; it just ensures that you maintain a degree of control over who you share information with. In an ideal world, all online trees would be carefully researched, with adequate source information so that they can be reliably evaluated. Alas, the world is far from ideal and such trees are in the minority.

Being proprietorial about ones work is not necessarily mean spirited. Personally I am quite happy to save a fellow researcher some money if I can, but I do care about accuracy and I don't want my tree being wrongly tacked on to someone else's without a by your leave or any chance of correcting things.

Caro
carobradford

Private tree question

Postby brunes08 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:34 pm

The fact that people -possibly some far distant relatives that I do not know - have put on their trees dreadfully inaccurate information about my family has persuaded me not to put my research on any site. I gather every bit of my information myself and share it with family members who are interested. Having spent some thirty years and a considerable amount of time and money on my research, I do not intend to let other people snaffle it wholesale and misrepresent it. In academic circles, to take someone else's work without permission and/or acknowledgement is plagiarism - so what's the difference here in what some people do with the trees?
brunes08

Postby pete25 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Also, there are people out there who build up family trees and sell on info from these trees etc etc

pete25

Postby meekhcs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Christine

You can swap from public to private by going to Tree settings on your tree and then to privacy settings.Tick private instead of public. People will know your tree exists but will not be able to see it without invitation. If you want to take it a step further you can tick the box underneath the private box which means your tree will nolonger be able to be found in the search index.

Always an emotive subject this. My tree is totally private at the moment because of the personal info it contains. I am in the process of splitting my tree in two. There will be a tree which is for my Family only, and a more skelatal, eventually Public, tree, which in terms of data recorded, will contain no "personal" info but only that which can be found online by any researcher.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ianbee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm

meekhcs wrote:I am in the process of splitting my tree in two. There will be a tree which is for my Family only, and a more skelatal, eventually Public, tree, which in terms of data recorded, will contain no "personal" info but only that which can be found online by any researcher.
Sally

That's a very good idea. But not even all the info that is online can be found by any researcher. Think of all the mysteries we have on here (some of which get solved!) It's also a question of interpreting the information.

At the end of the day, which is more annoying - people copying your tree, or people copying trees full of erroneous info about your ancestors?
I tend though to go on the basis that eventually, sooner or later, our "finds" will become common knowledge. Why not be the first to broadcast them?

If you are going to link up records on ancestry to your tree then they will go out to others as hints. If you don't "source" the people in your tree then ancestry no longer index them
Ian
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Ian suggests that sooner or later, our finds become common knowledge. What if they don't? Sadly we will all die and at that point, what happens to private tree data? Anyone with access to my tree only has read access so they wouldn't be able to open it.

It is possible to set up transfer of digital stuff, of course. Have the private tree people done that? Kudos if you have.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Next

Return to General research queries