Moderator Control Panel ]

Irish certificates

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Irish certificates

Postby kaytee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Has anyone had any experience of ordering copies of Irish civil registration birth/death certificates? I've been looking on irishgenealogy.ie and it seems that you have to download a form and if you're not able to pay with a cheque drawn on an Irish bank (I'm in England so no), you have to supply the security number for your credit card plus your signature along with the credit card number. All this gets written on the form and posted to them. Doesn't sound very secure to me. What does anyone else think? Thanks.
kaytee

Re: Irish certificates

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Apart from the security angle it all seems a bit long winded to me. Think your right to query.
Hopefully someone will have experience of dealing with them. Good luck.
Grace
Amazinggrace

Postby peter kent » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:41 pm

All this gets written on the form and posted to them.

That's what I did last time I needed one. It seemed to work.

I was tempted to put a €5 note in the envelope just to see what would happen :)
peter kent

Postby stefano » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:20 pm

I was thinking of obtaining an irish marriage certificate with that option. I was thinking and thinking do I. In the end I found the marriage certificate on irish genealogy.ie. 1863.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
stefano

Postby pete25 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Try here:

http://www.civilcertificates.ie/birthce ... Gwodkm4G0g

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby 2012girl » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Ordering certificates through 3rd party sites will always cost you much more and I would personally not go down that route.

A lot of records are now viewable online at irishgenealogy.ie under the civil records section, so check there first of all.

If you cannot find the record you require and a certificate has to be ordered then I have ordered many from GRO Ireland over the years, in the way you described, and have never had any issues at all. The cost of the certificates, if you request a photocopy, are much less than ours and can be emailed to you if you wish. The turnaround is usually about 2 weeks from posting the application. On the rare occasion a query has arisen the staff have always been helpful and prompt in their reply.

Unless you require a certified copy for legal purposes a photocopy is exactly the same, and a quarter of the price at €4. The 3rd party site would simply order the certificate on your behalf and by the looks of it charge you €40 plus p&p for the privilige.

I understand your concerns but my own experiences have only been positive ones and always best to deal direct with register offices in my opinion
2012girl

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:19 pm

You need to check whether the certificates are already on the http://www.irishgenealogy.ie site for free. Yes, I mean the certificates, not the indexes. The site has a link https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-years-are-covered-by-the-historic-records-of-births-marriages-and-deaths that explains
The years covered by the release of the historic records of Births, Marriages and Deaths are:

Births: 1864 to 1915
Marriages: 1882* to 1940
Deaths: 1891* to 1965

The General Register Office are currently working on updating further records of Marriages dating back to 1845 and Deaths dating back to 1864.These will be included in future updates to the records available on the website.

My emphasis on the start dates of images of marriages and deaths, which don't go back to the start of Irish Registration. (Which is complicated for marriages). And even better, because these are the certificates stored in Dublin, these free certificates include the counties of Northern Ireland up to Partition. The end dates are imposed for privacy reasons - later than that, it's cash for a certificate.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Amazinggrace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm

just reading Adrians post,I have ancestors in County Down which has been proving troublesome.
This sight might help me,what date was partition please?
grace
Amazinggrace

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm

3 May 1921 according to Wikipedia, was when separate governments were set up for the North and South, though independence of the Irish Free State didn't happen until the next year. So when the GRO Ireland actually split (21 or 22) I don't know. Have a look has to be the answer!

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby kaytee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I had noticed that images of the original entries had started appearing in the indexes on irishgenealogy.ie. The entry I'm particularly interested in is a death in 1864. As it seems that they are working on including older records as well, perhaps my best bet will be to wait until more historic records are released. Let's hope it doesn't take too long.
kaytee

Next

Return to General research queries