Moderator Control Panel ]

Lewis JENNINGS b 1875: Sad Story, No Ending.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lewis JENNINGS b 1875: Sad Story, No Ending.

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 pm

One of my paternal 1st Cousins 2xRemoved, is a young man called Lewis JENNINGS. He has a very tragic beginning, then a hopeful spell, before disappearing entirely. I would be so grateful for any help or hints that might lead me to a conclusion.

Lewis JENNINGS was born on 19 November 1875 in Alma Terrace, Bridge Street West, Birmingham, Warwickshire. His parents were both Birmingham born: John JENNINGS, who was a Pearl Button Cutter, and Hannah PALMER, who had worked as a Gilt Polisher before her marriage. They were married in 1864, but apparently had no other children. Lewis was not Christened.

In 1881, the family lived at 29, Bridge Street West, and then in Summer 1885, Hannah died, aged only 46. John remarried on 13 June 1886, in St Silas' Church, Lozells, to Rachel POOLE, a single woman with a 2 year-old daughter, Clara Elizabeth. John presumably hoped that this would provide a stable family for Lewis, but he was sadly mistaken. John died of Acute Pthisis (Consumption) on 7 August 1887, and Rachel gave birth to their son, John, on 10 August, the day before she buried her husband. Then in August 1889, Rachel had a second daughter, Eva Kate, whom she Registered under a spurious surname, having not actually remarried. Later, she Christened both Clara and Eva with the surname JENNINGS, as John's daughters! Then in 1892, she remarried, and moved to Coventry. She and her new husband had 6 children, and they, her 2 daughters and her son John, all lived together.

But poor Lewis was not so lucky. By the 1891 Census, aged 14, Lewis was living in the Cottage Homes for Pauper Children from the Birmingham Workhouse in Coleshill, near Meridan. He was described as a Pauper Inmate, and was working as a Painter, presumably under some sort of training initiative arranged by the Home. Then in 1901, in his early 20s, he was working as a Butcher, and living with Edward and Annie NEWTON, a young butcher and his wife, at 45, Washington Street, Birmingham.

But then, the trail goes cold. The forename is very unusual, especially in the UK, although I have searched using phonetic variants too. But I cannot find a marriage, death, will, burial, a Military record, a trace in the 1911 Census, the 1939 Register or a newspaper, or any sign of emigration or residence in the US, Canada or Australia. Nor does he appear by initials only in an Asylum, hospital or prison.

As a single man, he might have gone anywhere, and not all destinations are as well-covered as North America and Australia of course. But I so hope that he survived and married, and led a happy life. I would love to know the end of the story. Please can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Re: Lewis JENNINGS b 1875: Sad Story, No Ending.

Postby brunes08 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

I do not know if this is of help but may be. I found this reference on familysearch.org. The actual image is supposed to be on findmypast but I couldn't find it. Anyway this is what I found indexed for the overseas 1911 census. Louis Jennings, bn Birmingham. Census for Overseas Military, Khartoum Soudan Egypt. Spellings as I found them. A possibility? Hope so.
brunes08

Postby trace » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:45 pm

1911 Census
1st Btn A.P.W.O. Yorkshire Regt
Louis Jennings; 21; Rank Private; Glass Beveller (crossed out and 'nil' written in ); b Birmingham Warks

A P W O
Alexandra, Princess of Wales Own

Too young for your chap.
trace

Postby Brummie on Exmoor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Thank you for these suggestions. Any ideas are most gratefully received. I am SO grateful to people helping me to search, as after turning over every stone and looking afresh for Lewis numerous times over a period of about 7 years, I've rather run out of ideas!

Yes, the Lewis JENNINGS in the NZ newspaper cutting was Lewis JENNINGS, the MP for Stockport, Lancs. Sadly, he wasn't my man.

The young lad in the 1911 Census refs was Louis John JENNINGS, b Aston, Warwicks in Q2 1891. He was with his grandparents in Bradford in 1901 and in the army abroad in 1911.

But thank you so much for looking.

Jane
Brummie on Exmoor

Return to General research queries