Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Ann Jackson b1825

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Mary Ann Jackson b1825

Postby katebenn » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm searching for the birth & baptism of Mary Ann Jackson b c1825 d/o John Jackson b1781 & Elizabeth Dodds b1788.
They married on 31 Jul 1824 at Easington Parish Church, Durham; John was a widower from Houghton le Spring & Elizabeth a spinster.
Mary Ann always gives her birth place as Sunderland (probably the name of the nearest large town)
John & Elizabeth had another daughter Eleanor baptised in 1826 at Houghton le Spring.
So far I've not had any luck tracking down Mary Ann's baptism?
Any ideas?
Kate
katebenn

Re: Mary Ann Jackson b1825

Postby mouthfulofbees » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Could this be her?

Name: Mary Jackson
Christening Date: 08 Oct 1828
Christening Place: AUCKLAND SAINT ANDREW,DURHAM,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: John Robinson Jackson
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P00021-4
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 434938
Reference ID:

Citing this Record:
"England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JW4V-DZ4 : 6 December 2014), Mary Jackson, 08 Oct 1828; citing AUCKLAND SAINT ANDREW,DURHAM,ENGLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 434,938.
mouthfulofbees

Postby ermin79 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 pm

The Durham Records Online website (http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com) is very useful for research in Durham and Northumberland, they've not yet transcribed all parish records from the whole county and it is a subscription / pay per view site, but they have over a million baptisms listed including some Methodist and other dissenting groups.

I have no credits at present so can't see full result details, but using search parameters of baptisms of a Mary Ann Jackson, father John, you get the following results:

Baptisms Houghton-le-Spring 1830 Mary Ann Jackson residence Hetton
Baptisms Newcastle 1826 Mary Ann Jackson residence Tyne Street
Baptisms Newcastle 1823 Mary Ann Jackson residence Close
Baptisms Stockton 1826 Mary Ann Jackson residence Wolviston
Baptisms Sunderland 1820 Mary Ann Jackson 1820 residence Monkwearmouth Shore

However if you include mother's name Elizabeth in the search parameters none of these records are returned.

Baptisms for Mary (without Ann) Jackson born 1825 +/- 5 years, with father John and mother Elizabeth only brings back two results:

Mary Jackson baptised 1827 in Chester le Street (residence Witton Gilbert)

And what I assume is the Auckland baptism mentioned by mouthfulofbees below - Mary Jackson 1828 Auckland, residence Eldon.

However looking wider using a search for children with surname Jackson, father John, mother Elizabeth, the baptism of Eleanor in Houghton-Le-Spring comes up, and also the following:

Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1826 Bartholemew Jackson (residence Witton Gilbert)
Baptisms Chester-le-Street 1829 Isabella Jackson (residence Witton Gilbert)

So the two others in Witton Gilbert may well suggest a different family.

If she's not the Auckland baptism, she's elusive!
ermin79

Postby ianbee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm

What if she was born before John and Elizabeth married?
Baptism 28 April 1823, Bishopwearmouth
Marianne Dodds
mother Elizabeth
abode Grindon

Good for Sunderland!
ianbee

Postby simonpg » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:38 am

The 1823 baptism may well be the correct Mary Ann. In my line in Scotland in the late 1700's both mother and daughter were recorded variously as Mary Anne, Marion and Marian.
I would suggest that you get an image of the full baptism as transcriptions do not usually record notes or extra details not accounted for in transcription columns. Also check for a bastardy order as that will name the reputed father. In many cases illigitimate children assumed the surname of their step father.
simonpg

Postby katebenn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

ianbee wrote:What if she was born before John and Elizabeth married?
Baptism 28 April 1823, Bishopwearmouth
Marianne Dodds
mother Elizabeth
abode Grindon
Good for Sunderland!

I think you may be right here. The places mentioned are all fairly close & Bishopwearmouth is good for Sunderland as you say. 1823 is a little early though for the years / ages she gives on the census but not without possiblities.
Her mother Elizabeth Dodds m John Jackson by banns on 31 Jul 1824 at Easington Parish Church; he was a widower & Elizabeth is described as a spinster otp.
Unfortunatley the Durham Bishop Transcripts for Sunderland 1820 - 1830 are missing; but we are hoping to visit Durham Recoord Office next month; so will be looking for the baptism to see if there are any other details given AND also for a bastardy order as you suggest.
katebenn

Postby katebenn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:20 pm

simonpg wrote:The 1823 baptism may well be the correct Mary Ann. In my line in Scotland in the late 1700's both mother and daughter were recorded variously as Mary Anne, Marion and Marian.
I would suggest that you get an image of the full baptism as transcriptions do not usually record notes or extra details not accounted for in transcription columns. Also check for a bastardy order as that will name the reputed father. In many cases illigitimate children assumed the surname of their step father.

Please see my other reply - I will let you know how I get on at the Record Office.
katebenn

Return to General research queries