Moderator Control Panel ]

Richard Abbay born 1535

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Richard Abbay born 1535

Postby Lucretia66 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I've hit a brick wall in researching my mother's side of the family. Richard Abbay is my earliest ancestor that I can find, but I would like to go beyond 1535, the year of his birth. I have no idea what his wife was called or his parents. Any advice please on how to find them?
Lucretia66

Re: Richard Abbay born 1535

Postby brunes08 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 am

A branch of my family lived in one small parish in Cornwall. It was easy to trace the family in the Parish Registers back to a marriage in 1540. However, the difficulty lies in the fact that the Parish Registers, as we know them, began in 1538 ( I think that's the right year) so we cannot easily follow that route any further. Therefore, it is going to be difficult before that. If your family owned land or were of some note in the district, there could possibly - and I mean possibly - be some documents relating to them. But where? I think your best way forward would be to visit or contact the relevant County Record Office to see if they hold any documents that might help. You could also look to see if there are any books on the history of the area where you might pick up some clues. Good luck.
brunes08

Postby Lucretia66 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you very much.
Yes, the further back I go the more money my family had and the more information I find about different branches. The Abbay branch are the oldest branch of my family. Sadly I am having difficulty with the Latin and Norman French connected with them.
By the way, if you have any Yorkshire ancestry, try the Red 1st site if you haven't heard of it. It was very useful to me.
Lucretia66

Postby brunes08 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you for the link to Red 1st. I do have Yorkshire ancestors and have traced them back to just before 1600 but am stuck on two people with the same name who could be the father of my umpteenth gt grandfather. If your family had land, you may well be able to find some further clues. Happy hunting!
brunes08

Return to General research queries