Moderator Control Panel ]

Military Picture Poss WW1 North Staffs Regiment

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Military Picture Poss WW1 North Staffs Regiment

Postby sarahlouise_robertson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:36 pm

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1487439218.148789.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1487439218.148789.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 1789 times

Hello all,

I have this photograph of my Great Grandad (second row from back - far right!) which I believe to be the north Staffordshire regiment c1914/15

My GG is James Harrison (b1896) and he survived.

Wondered if anyone could confirm the regiment AND help date the image?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
sarahlouise_robertson

Re: Military Picture Poss WW1 North Staffs Regiment

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi,

The cap badges certainly do look like The Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment). The uniforms appear to be ww1. The rifle is confusing me though as it does not look like The Lee-Enfield that was in issue, not like the one I own anyway, someone else may possibly be able to date the uniforms and rifles more accurately but ww1 I think is about right.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby Jethro Tull » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi,
Ok, so rifle was bugging me!, it looks to me like I've now found it, I think it's a Pattern 1914 Enfield which would date this photo to post late 1914. The rifle was not accepted into service until 1916 though so guessing the pic is after that date and even then, its an unusual weapon if I'm correct on the ID.

Dan.
Jethro Tull

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I wasn't anxious to say anything on this one because I expected the Knotty badge in the middle of the cap badge to show up as a knot - but I also know that I've been fooled before by badges that I expect to show the cut out shape in the centre, but don't.

I am seriously impressed, Dan, by your rifle knowledge!

Re the date - it does occur to me that these guys are actually rather smart - the caps look neat with little sign of floppy edges that you see when the wire gets taken out (I understand). There seem to be a couple of caps with covers to them. The puttees seem neat, the webbing is consistent...

I have no idea how long James served but wonder if this is a photo taken immediately prior to demob, a last hurrah with a bit of spit and polish? Unlikely to be at the opposite end with everybody wearing their new uniforms as I think that there's at least one guy with wound stripes and 2 with medal ribbons, I think.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby sarahlouise_robertson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 am

I'm impressed too! My ex was current serving officer and that's better than his intel!!

The bits I've pieced together about his service is;

North Staffordshire Regiment, possibly Service No 201080 and served with 2/5th (TF) Battalion and finished up in the 9th Battalion. service record did not survive WW2. The 2/5 Battalion did not go to war until Feb 1917 and had served in Ireland beforehand

But there are a few James Harrison's listed!

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
sarahlouise_robertson

Return to Photo identification