Moderator Control Panel ]

Frank Connor Help Please - Where to go now?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Frank Connor Help Please - Where to go now?

Postby NickConnor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 pm

Looking on the GRO website at the death certificates I have found the following

CONNOR, FRANK     mothers maiden name:BOOTH     Order
GRO Reference: 1913  D Quarter in ASHTON UNDER LYNE  Volume 08D  Page 927

It's frank rather than Francis, the year of birth ties up and Ashton under Lyne is in Tameside. Looks pretty good doesn't it?

I've also had a look at the mother's surname of booth and found the following....

First name(s)ELIZABETHLast nameBOOTHMarriage quarter4Marriage year1890Registration month-MarriageFinder[TRADE MARK SIGN]ELIZABETH BOOTH married one of these people
Thomas Dawber, Francis ConnorDistrictWiganDistrict number-CountyLancashireCountryEnglandVolume8CPage112

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0036%2f189

Granted its in Wigan but it's only 40 mins from Ashton under Lyne. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as my Grandad was born in 1913 so this would be 23 years after they married, a bit of a stretch?
NickConnor

Postby sdup26 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm

It would be worth trying the 1911 census for both Wigan & Ashton for a Francis/Frank Connor married to an Elizabeth, and a coal miner, as per Francis jnr's marriage cert.
sdup26

Postby NickConnor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 am

Right, so I've done a bit more digging and as soon suggested by ad up I've had a look at the 1911 census and found the following, looking for an Elizabeth married to a Francis, in Wigan where Francis has the profession of coal miner as per marriage certificate.

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Francis Connor Head Married Male Coal Miner Coal Getter Below Ground 41 1870 Wigan Lancs
Elizabeth Connor Wife Married Female - 41 1870 Wigan Lancs
James William Connor Son Single Male Coal Miner Coal Getter Below Ground 20 1891 Wigan Lancs
Marggeret Connor Daughter Single Female Cotton Mill Cardroom 14 1897 Wigan Lancs
Annie Connor Daughter Single Female - 11 1900 Wigan Lancs
Mary Connor Daughter Single Female - 9 1902 Plank Lanc Near Leigh Lancs
Ellen Connor Daughter Single Female - 6 1905 Plank Lanc Near Leigh Lancs
Elizabeth Connor Daughter Single Female - 2 1909 Plank Lanc Near Leigh Lancs
Frances Connor Daughter Single Female - 0 1911 Plank Lanc Near Leigh Lancs

Looks pretty good to me. I've since ordered the birth certificate mentioned above so will wait and see if that confirms things.....

I think that I may come unstuck at some point as I only have my dad to speak to regarding the Connor family and his knowledge is very very limited.

Along with his family in general I would love to find out more about my grandfather Frank Connor (jnr).

Many thanks
NickConnor

Postby sdup26 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 am

The daughter of Frank and Elizabeth, Elizabeth Connor born 1909 as shown in the 1911 census, has mother's maiden name as Booth.

IF your Francis/Frank is the son of the above, this baptism could relate to him:
19th Oct 1913 St Ann, Ashton under Lyne (RC Church)
born 31 Sept 1913 (following this, it says 'sic' probably referring to that 31 Sept date, as there are only 30 days in Sept. Presumably whoever said it actually meant the last day)
Franciscus Connor filius Francisci Connor & Elizabeth formerly Booth.
Abode 141 Margaret Street
Godparents Fredericus Gorman, Alicia Seddon
And confirmation:
Confirmed at: hac Eclesia (this Church - probably St Ann, as for baptism)
Date confirmed: April 6th 1924 by Petro Sheahan
sdup26

Postby NickConnor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Wow that is very interesting sdcup! Thanks very much! Where did you get that information from if you don't mind me asking?
So, going by that the Connor family as per the census above had a Francis in 1913, the address is 5 mins walk from the address on the census as well. All ties in doesn't it! It looks to confirm that they actually did have another child after 1911. Very interesting, thank you very much again. Much appreciated.
Nick
NickConnor

Postby sdup26 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm

I really hope you've found 'your' family, because if so, this will take you back a bit further:
18/10/1890, St Catherine, Wigan
Francis Connor, aged 20, collier of John St, married Elizabeth Booth, aged 20 of Belvoir St
Groom's father, William Connor, a collier. Bride's father. Joseph Booth, tin plate worker
witnesses, Joseph Booth and Mary Jane Rudd
If it relates to the same couple as in the 1911 census, and IF they were the parents of Francis, they had him baptised in a Catholic Church, whereas this marriage is C of E. I can't find baptisms for the Connor children listed in 1911, RC or other. May or may not be significant.

Source for this, and my previous post: www.lan-opc.org.uk
sdup26

Previous

Return to General research queries