Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert John Robertson

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert John Robertson

Postby AlMeek55 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 pm

I found some letters written to my great aunt Annie Ballingall of Leven Fife. They were from a Robert J Robertson who was born on 6th May 1897. Despite employing various research methods he remains elusive. I know he fought in the First World War and in the Chanak Crisis - no one has found any details of his service. He suffered a bout of malaria so that might give some clue to his theatre of war. Their love was beset by problems some initiated by a James Laing. When their love was finally doomed he left for the Congo before journeying on to Hopetown and Sea Lake in Victoria Australia. They continued to communicate but she died a spinster in 1969.He was a bit of a scallywag according to his letters but beyond that i have nothing!!
AlMeek55

Re: Robert John Robertson

Postby ianbee » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:18 pm

His birth is easy enough to find!
A quick search on ScotlandsPeople found only one person with those names registered in 1897
Robertson, Robert John
Male
Year: 1897
Ref: 005/1 37
RD Name: Lerwick

Lerwick is of course in the Shetlands
Shetland Family History has some info (more on his parents!)
http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getper ... 5&tree=ID1

Have you tried passenger lists, etc?
Ian
ianbee

Postby AlMeek55 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 pm

The website proved extremely useful and I found loads of subsequent info but very little about him.
The information I have is that he was born 6 May 1897 to Thomas and Mary and had sisters Elizabeth, later Duffin and Mary Ann. He married Robina Jamieson Norholm on his birthday in 1920 but by 1930 they were divorced and she remarried to Andrew John Abernethy. Robert and Robina (Ruby) had two children one of whom was Thomas J. born in 1920. Beyond that I know nothing although I assume he left the island as he met Anne, my great aunt in Fife. He served in the Great War and later in The Chanak Crisis but details of this remain elusive.
AlMeek55

Postby AntonyM » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

If he was still serving at the time of the Chanak Crisis (1922) then his service record may still be with the Ministry of Defence - you can apply for a copy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... -personnel
AntonyM

Postby mmundy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 am

AlMeek55 wrote:I found some letters written to my great aunt Annie Ballingall of Leven Fife. They were from a Robert J Robertson who was born on 6th May 1897. Despite employing various research methods he remains elusive. I know he fought in the First World War and in the Chanak Crisis - no one has found any details of his service. He suffered a bout of malaria so that might give some clue to his theatre of war. Their love was beset by problems some initiated by a James Laing. When their love was finally doomed he left for the Congo before journeying on to Hopetown and Sea Lake in Victoria Australia. They continued to communicate but she died a spinster in 1969.He was a bit of a scallywag according to his letters but beyond that i have nothing!!

Today, I visited my local genealogy group, and the May magazine of "Who Do You Think You Are" was available for lending. Last week, I was helping my friend, record some of his family. That family was Jessie Sinclair (1834 - ?), who married Thomas Ballingall (1835 - 1896). So imagine my surprise, that I page 45, I saw your post re Robert John Robertson. I have no knowledge of Robert, but would love to know more about Annie Ballingall of Levin. My friend is a descendant, of Jessie's brother Francis/Frank. I would love to correspond
mmundy

Return to General research queries